Inexpensive Dust Collector Remote Switch

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Inexpensive Dust Collector Remote Switch

Post by roy_okc »

I bought an inexpensive remote switch to test with my DC3300 a couple months back, it's currently $15, I paid a little less, figured that was a cheap gamble and I'd find some other use for it if it didn't work out. I finally got a round tuit and got it installed the other day. I'm glad to report that it works fine with the DC3300, can't guess if it would work with the higher draw of the DC6000 or other brands of dust collectors. I did have a minor hiccup when pairing the remote to the outlet, I probably just didn't push the remote's button hard enough or long enough, but the second try worked fine.

Over the weekend, I was enlarging the holes on my Kreg table via a brand new jig from Benchdogs that generated a bunch of MDF dust. After every few holes, I would power up the DC and clean up then turn it back off and continue, probably a dozen or more times, not a single issue turning it on or off.

I bought the "Fosmon WavePoint Wireless Remote Control Outdoor Electrical Outlet Switch Weatherproof Heavy Duty 3-Prong Plug-in ETL Listed (Battery Included) 1 Pack." Here's the Amazon link, if interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072F9DGRL
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Inexpensive Dust Collector Remote Switch

Post by JPG »

The current rating is not robust, but it has a 1/2 HP rating.

Time will tell!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I've had the same one for about ten months and have had no issues using it with DC-6000. I paid $13.25. I do see some now with higher motor ratings (15A 2.4 HP), but not great customer reviews despite a much higher price. Agree - time will tell.

- David
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

If the current rating is an issue, you could get a 120v-coil contactor for another $10-$15 that can handle 30+ amps and use the remote switch to trigger the contactor.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

john_001 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:47 pm If the current rating is an issue, you could get a 120v-coil contactor for another $10-$15 that can handle 30+ amps and use the remote switch to trigger the contactor.
JPG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:05 pm OR...https://www.amazon.com/SSR-25AA-70-250V ... RydWU&th=1
I wouldn't really recommend these approaches. While the DC-3300 is a rather light load due to its small motor, you do have to be careful with switching inductive loads like this using just a relay/contactor. Using such an approach can create a large negative voltage transient that potentially could harm the DC-3300. This is why they make motor starters which include circuitry to suppress inductive load spikes, i.e. they aren't just relays/switches. Larger motors even have arc suppression and are usually magnetic to provide safe dis-engagement should the power fail and re-engage later. The Amazon device first posted on this thread is most likely all solid state, i.e. no internal relays. As such, it likely has built in OV and transient protection. It may even have soft start capability. In short, assuming it has enough current capacity for the DC-3300 load, you shouldn't need to add any external circuitry and most likely adding a relay would only create problems IMHO.

http://www.artisancontrols.com/UtilityI ... 0Loads.pdf

https://www.ciprian.com/wp-content/uplo ... -loads.pdf

https://www.palmerdcs.com/the-integrato ... rotection.

For larger dust collectors, this is what you need, but overkill for something like the DC-3300:

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LR22 ... wgEALw_wcB
LongRanger.jpg
LongRanger.jpg (41.93 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

" As such, it likely has built in OV and transient protection."

Indeed it does!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:48 pm " As such, it likely has built in OV and transient protection."

Indeed it does!
JPG,

Thanks. I was referring to the original remote switch posted by Roy, but yes your link was for a solid state relay, which isn't really a relay except in circuit diagram perhaps. I just didn't want anyone to think it is a good idea to put a traditional mechanical relay on the remote switch, IF it doesn't have enough current capacity. That would not be a good idea for an inductive load like the DC-3300.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Most SSR of this genre typically have a 3-32v dc control side. This one is more suitable as a 'booster' since 120v ac will work as the control.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝