Cutting miters

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Cutting miters

Post by DLB »

You can also complete the miters on the disc sander which has no problem with the 5" width and horizontal table surface. I regularly finish miters on the disc sander when something didn't come out to my satisfaction anyway. In this case though, I'd probably take the opportunity to rationalize the acquisition of that fancy miter saw I've had my eye on... ;)

- David
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

It is possible to clamp the work piece to the miter gage at the desired angle , leaving the edge of the work piece off the table edge a 1/2 inch or so ,with the sanding disc installed just extend the quill , it is even possible to use the depth stop if desired . the trick to a crisp edge is the grit on the sanding disc , JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It doesn't hurt to finish any edge you can on the disk sander. Bevels tend to leave rougher edges on some material so a fine sand paper can get you a super smooth edge and very clean line. A good sharp blade running at the right speed can produce an edge like that also but I still like to use the disk sander to finish boards for size. I am jealous of craftsmen who consistently cut boards to exactly the right length on the table saw alone.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

" I am jealous of craftsmen who consistently cut boards to exactly the right length on the table saw alone"

Seen the Highland Woodworker "master" from Knoxville video?

He sneaks up on cut!

OK so it was a compound cut, but. . .
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange