Which older Shopsmith as a lathe?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Which older Shopsmith as a lathe?

Post by RFGuy »

Since I am a newbie woodturner, can some of the experienced turners answer something for me? Aren't lathe duplicators still slow? I mean isn't the point replication, but it still takes a long time to remove all of that material? Do you use the duplicator carbide cutter to remove all of it? Or, is it advisable to use gouges and remove excess material by hand before switching to the duplicator cutter? In other words, similar to a router where you bandsaw excess away to save the bit for shaping close to the template guide? Reason for my questions is for my own information to understand their operation, but also to hopefully help the OP. If they are balusters on an old Victorian house, then I assume there are LOTS of them to reproduce unless a handful are damaged. It just seems like A LOT for a newbie woodturner to take on and will take a long time to come up to speed on woodturning, duplicator operation and completing the task. In short, a lathe duplicator is still a very hands-on, manual operation, i.e. it isn't a CNC.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RexLumber
Silver Member

Post by RexLumber »

roy_okc wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:33 amYou'd have to figure out how to attach one, probably with some additional blocks mounted to the upper way tubes, but something like this one from Rockler could probably be adapted without much trouble.

[...]

Where are you located?
Thanks for confirming that other duplicators can be adapted to the Shopsmith. I knew universal units are available, but didn't know if there was something particular to Shopsmith that precluded their use.

I am in Southern New England.
RexLumber
Silver Member

Post by RexLumber »

RobertTaylor wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:49 am Rex Lumber, I don't see your location listed so it is hard to give advice on finding a SS duplicator. I personaly know of two complete units and some misc. pieces located in NE Ohio.
jsburger wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:23 pmThere is one on eBay now. They do show up there occasionally. I would not consider them exceptionally rare.
JPG wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:05 pm Would be really nice it it included the rest of it.
Thanks. I'm in Southern New England.

JPG, are you referring to the bracketing that holds the sample to be duplicated?
RexLumber
Silver Member

Post by RexLumber »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:50 am Since I am a newbie woodturner, can some of the experienced turners answer something for me? Aren't lathe duplicators still slow? I mean isn't the point replication, but it still takes a long time to remove all of that material? Do you use the duplicator carbide cutter to remove all of it? Or, is it advisable to use gouges and remove excess material by hand before switching to the duplicator cutter? In other words, similar to a router where you bandsaw excess away to save the bit for shaping close to the template guide? Reason for my questions is for my own information to understand their operation, but also to hopefully help the OP. If they are balusters on an old Victorian house, then I assume there are LOTS of them to reproduce unless a handful are damaged. It just seems like A LOT for a newbie woodturner to take on and will take a long time to come up to speed on woodturning, duplicator operation and completing the task. In short, a lathe duplicator is still a very hands-on, manual operation, i.e. it isn't a CNC.
I've watched some youtube videos of the Shopsmith duplicator in action. I believe I have a pretty good idea of the effort involved.

I've been working on this house for a while now. Nothing is easy, but with persistence I get things done.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Used Shopsmith Lathe Duplicators do show up for sale regularly as John said but his example is only one part of it. As JPG said, "Would be really nice if it included the rest of it."

This is something you will need to watch out for if buying a used Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator. First off is it complete. There are also two versions of the Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator. The difference has to do with the Channel the original spindle or pattern goes on along with the Guard. The early version uses a "C" Channel. The later one is a double sided "T" Track Channel. The difference is fairly easy to spot as the "C" Channel is painted the same color as the other frame parts. The "T" Track is made out of aluminum and is silver.

Another consideration is three of the five cutter types are no longer available from Shopsmith. I haven't looked for other sources for these cutters yet.

As for other brands of Lathe Duplicators unless they have Shopsmith specific versions you would have to get adaptations for them. The Table mounts to the Carriage much the same as the Regular Table for the different models do except using Lathe Tool Rest Posts and a bracket. The Frame mounts to the Way Tubes which would be different than mounts to a conventional Lathe Frame.

Something I don't recall seeing in this thread yet is recommending a Live Tailstock Center. You will be much happier using a Live center as opposed to using the dead center which can leave burn marks from the friction of the wood turning on it. That may not be a problem since the burn mark would be hidden when the balusters you make are in place. When using the Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator they recommend a live Tailstock Center with the 1-1/2" long spacer P/N 514704.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

RexLumber wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:25 am I am in Southern New England.
You might check to see if there is a Rockler store near you that has their duplicator in stock and/or if anyone in the store has any experience with it. We don't (yet, but soon) have a Rockler in the OKC area, but the local Woodcraft store has very knowledgeable employees.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RexLumber wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:30 am
Thanks. I'm in Southern New England.
Rhode Island here. About twice a year I see lathe duplicators on sale on Craig's List. Shopsmith listings have been down for the last year, but spring is approaching and I think listings pick up in March and April.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

You might also want to consider making your own duplicator. Lots of ideas on You Tube, but one of the best is an article in Issue 132 of Shop Notes magazine, which describes the complete build of a nice looking duplicator. It looks like it would work fine for your project. Just another possible option.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edflorence wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:05 pm You might also want to consider making your own duplicator. Lots of ideas on You Tube, but one of the best is an article in Issue 132 of Shop Notes magazine, which describes the complete build of a nice looking duplicator. It looks like it would work fine for your project. Just another possible option.
Ed,

Thanks. I have no interest in duplicators, but I watched a few videos to try to answer my own questions on this thread from above. Honestly, it looks rather slow in the videos I have seen for the Shopsmith duplicator and other brands. Am I wrong here? Isn't the whole point replication, but that tends to be slow? I have watched experienced woodturners turn out spindles in easily one tenth the time, by eye alone, than it takes a novice or even mid-skill woodturner using a duplicator. Asking out of curiosity since my woodturning intentions are not for replication at the moment, but who knows what the future holds.
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Replication can be a one off. Duplication can be a one off.

CAN be, not necessarily sufficient.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange