Mark 510 Power Pro Headstock making rattling noises

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KD2ORG
Bronze Member

Re: Mark 510 Power Pro Headstock making rattling noises

Post by KD2ORG »

Thanks, David, I think that's useful. I got about 10 degrees of movement in the eccentric which I assume is OK. Though it does run quieter, and the table-saw cuts 2x4s like a dream, today I noticed some more bearing rattle at the higher speeds. It appears to come from the front of the quill, however, not the rear which is where the idler eccentric is located. The noise might have been there all along, I just didn't notice it while I was fussing around with the motor mounts. However, if I grab the quill and shake it side to side I can feel a slight but noticeable amount of run-out. Can this be causing the rattle noises that I am now hearing?

How does one fix quill problems like that without replacing it? I might still have my Mk 510's original quill from before the upgrade, if I can find it after four moves have turned my shop upside down more times than I care to remember. I think it's a dual bearing model but I wouldn't swear to it. Can the bearings be replaced if need be?

Thanks!
KD2ORG
Bronze Member

Post by KD2ORG »

Thanks, David, I think that's useful. I got about 10 degrees of movement in the eccentric which I assume is OK. Though it does run quieter, and the table-saw cuts 2x4s like a dream, today I noticed some more bearing rattle at the higher speeds. It appears to come from the front of the quill, however, not the rear which is where the idler eccentric is located. The noise might have been there all along, I just didn't notice it while I was fussing around with the motor mounts. However, if I grab the quill and shake it side to side I can feel a slight but noticeable amount of run-out. Can this be causing the rattle noises that I am now hearing?

How does one fix quill problems like that without replacing it? I might still have my Mk 510's original quill from before the upgrade, if I can find it after four moves have turned my shop upside down more times than I care to remember. I think it's a dual bearing model but I wouldn't swear to it. Can the bearings be replaced if need be?

Thanks!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

KD2ORG wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:35 am Thanks, David, I think that's useful. I got about 10 degrees of movement in the eccentric which I assume is OK. Though it does run quieter, and the table-saw cuts 2x4s like a dream, today I noticed some more bearing rattle at the higher speeds. It appears to come from the front of the quill, however, not the rear which is where the idler eccentric is located. The noise might have been there all along, I just didn't notice it while I was fussing around with the motor mounts. However, if I grab the quill and shake it side to side I can feel a slight but noticeable amount of run-out. Can this be causing the rattle noises that I am now hearing?

Yes. I've had to replace the outer bearings in two of the latest version of quill for excessive end play (in/out motion). One was relatively new, from my PowerPro kit, and the other was older but of the same type and manufacturer.

There are multiple versions of two bearing quills and they use different bearings. On most, both bearings can be replaced. On all, the outer bearing can be replaced. Your original 510 quill and PP quill are likely to be different versions.

Thanks!
Some have said that the PowerPro quill bearings are custom, with a high RPM grease. I'm a born skeptic. But if you use your PP at high speeds it can't hurt to makes sure you use bearings rated at 10K RPMs or higher.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Do you still have the original quill from before you upgraded? It's easy enough to install that and see if that exhibits the same kind of runout. If not, you have something to use while you upgrade those bearings. But just the process of replacing the quill may uncover some other cause of the rattling that needs fixing. If there is runout on your quill it's likely to be a broken bearing, and though they are pretty strong, it wouldn't take that much to damage a bearing from something long or heavy mounted on the spindle accompanied by a strong jolt.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
KD2ORG
Bronze Member

Post by KD2ORG »

I think the run-out is not that serious a problem. I don't really know what acceptable/unacceptable run-out feels like, but if is out of tolerance then it is very slight. The bearing noise is bothering me, though. Figuring out which bearing is causing the noise is the problem. Is it possible to remove the quill and run the motor without removing the belts? That would tell me if the noise is in the quill or elsewhere. If the noise remains and I remove the top belt next then I could tell if the noise is coming from the intermediate shaft or the power take-off bearings. Is this an acceptable way of troubleshooting these problems?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

KD2ORG wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:04 am I think the run-out is not that serious a problem. I don't really know what acceptable/unacceptable run-out feels like, but if is out of tolerance then it is very slight. The bearing noise is bothering me, though. Figuring out which bearing is causing the noise is the problem. Is it possible to remove the quill and run the motor without removing the belts? That would tell me if the noise is in the quill or elsewhere. If the noise remains and I remove the top belt next then I could tell if the noise is coming from the intermediate shaft or the power take-off bearings. Is this an acceptable way of troubleshooting these problems?
Yes, it is possible to run the headstock with the quill removed. But I don't think removing the upper belt will give good results. I would expect the Idler bearings to be noisy in this configuration independent of whether they're good or bad. I've never tried it, but remember we 'balance' belt tension by minimizing noise. Removing the upper belt would create imbalance, or a high radial load on the Idler, which seems susceptible.

- David