Hirsh - The Cutter's Edge, Will this help me cut straight?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

VideoCat
Bronze Member

Hirsh - The Cutter's Edge, Will this help me cut straight?

Post by VideoCat »

I inherited this guide from my father-in-law. Apparently it is to use with a circular saw, but I do not have the instructions, so I was hoping someone could supply me with the complete instructions so I could use it safely. I believe it was purchased form Sears many years ago. I have tried searching on line, but was not successful in finding this unit. I found some similar units, but they are different. There are 2 aluminum guides about 4 and 5 feet long. there are clamps on one of the guides. It says, "All Purpose Cutting Guide" on the label. I do not know if it is complete, or if some things are missing.

I took a few woodworking classes in Junior High, but that was long ago, so I still consider myself a beginner. I will be working on converting my garage to a workshop. Mostly for repairing and testing Computers and Monitors, but need to improve my woodworking skills to build and modify shelving, workbenches and tables. I never could cut a straight line with my circular saw :o , so maybe something like this could help me to go straight! :cool: My circular saw also came from my father-in-law, who passed away long ago, and it is a Craftsman from Sears.

Should I waste my time with this or should I look to a more recent guide? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Hirsh - The Cutter's Edge, Will this help me cut straight?

Post by JPG »

A picture would help.

Look like this?
hirsch guide.jpg
hirsch guide.jpg (31.25 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
Or this thread? viewtopic.php?t=9855
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

VideoCat,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

If the Cutter's Edge you have looks like the one pictured below it will work fine for cutting straight edges. I have the Hirsh one in the picture and have used it from time to time over the years for cutting sheet goods down to size. The guide sections are 51" long and the coupler piece is 16" long. I don't know where the instructions are for mine but it is rather easy to use. Hopefully you have the clamps (shown in the picture) that come with it. Their bolt heads go into the "T" track on the bottom side. Use one section for up to a 4' cut and both sections for over 4' up to an 8' cut. The circular saw goes against the edge that is flat not the stepped edge. You will need to determine how much you need to add for the distance between the blade and edge of the circular saw base for the correct cutting width for your project. When I have used mine, I clamp the guide to the part I am cutting to width just in case I go astray. It is important that the blade be parallel to the edge of the circular saw base edge that goes against the guide. I had a cheap circular saw that was not aligned between the blade and edge of the base that would cause it to go a little astray. The reason for the warning and that saw is long gone.

_
Hirsh Cutters Edge.jpg
Hirsh Cutters Edge.jpg (241.1 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
MikeG
Gold Member

Post by MikeG »

Here is the manual that I have for mine. I have used it with great success for breaking down sheet goods.
Cutter's Edge II.pdf
(162.43 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
VideoCat
Bronze Member

Post by VideoCat »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:40 am VideoCat,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

If the Cutter's Edge you have looks like the one pictured below it will work fine for cutting straight edges. I have the Hirsh one in the picture and have used it from time to time over the years for cutting sheet goods down to size. The guide sections are 51" long and the coupler piece is 16" long. I don't know where the instructions are for mine but it is rather easy to use. Hopefully you have the clamps (shown in the picture) that come with it. Their bolt heads go into the "T" track on the bottom side. Use one section for up to a 4' cut and both sections for over 4' up to an 8' cut. The circular saw goes against the edge that is flat not the stepped edge. You will need to determine how much you need to add for the distance between the blade and edge of the circular saw base for the correct cutting width for your project. When I have used mine, I clamp the guide to the part I am cutting to width just in case I go astray. It is important that the blade be parallel to the edge of the circular saw base edge that goes against the guide. I had a cheap circular saw that was not aligned between the blade and edge of the base that would cause it to go a little astray. The reason for the warning and that saw is long gone.

_
Hirsh Cutters Edge.jpg
Russ,
My version looks almost exactly the same as your photo. The handles on the clamps are slightly different so I am not sure of the difference between my version and the II version. I read over the instructions that were uploaded by another member, and they seem very clear. Since I do not need to use the guide now, I will plan on making a test cut in the next few weeks, and review the spacing to the blade. I have an older Craftsman circular saw, and will be looking to buy a new saw in the near future. Thanks for the pointer on keeping the blade parallel.
VideoCat
Bronze Member

Post by VideoCat »

MikeG wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:58 pm Here is the manual that I have for mine. I have used it with great success for breaking down sheet goods.
Cutter's Edge II.pdf
Mike,
Thanks for the instructions PDF. Even though it is for the II version, it appears to be nearly the same as the version I have. In the next few weeks, I will try making a few test cuts and see how it works for me. My Craftsman circular saw is very old, so I may need to get a new one. Do you have any recommendations? I would mainly be using it for cutting 2x4s, 2x6s, etc, and plywood from 1/4" to 3/4".
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

When looking for a new saw be sure to look at all of them , some are more versatile . I have a old makita , when I bought it I thought was the best thing since sliced bread , my buddy showed up last year with a new dewalt that made me drool . jmo
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)