Disc Sander Arbor

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dougd1
Bronze Member

Disc Sander Arbor

Post by dougd1 »

I am looking to mount my Shopsmith 12" disc sander to my lathe in order to get the sanding speed down. I am looking for a spindle adapter with a #2 morse taper on one end and the standard Shopsmith 5/8" arbor on the other. Either that or a spindle adapter with a 1 1/4" x 8 tpi threaded end (female) and the standard Shopsmith 5/8" arbor on the other. I can then screw this directly onto the lathe spindle. I can get my lathe speed down to 100 rpm, which I need for my sanding operation. The minimum speed of my 510 is too high for what I am trying to do. Does such an adapter exist? Thanks.
Doug
dougd1
Bronze Member

Re: Disc Sander Arbor

Post by dougd1 »

Shopsmith seems to have the adapter I am looking for - Part # 505603 - tailstock adapter.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Disc Sander Arbor

Post by edma194 »

There is also the Shopsmith Speed Reducer: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... educer.htm

It's certainly more expensive than an arbor, but it will slow the conventional headstock spindle down to 100 RPM. It can be a generally useful addition to a Shopsmith, but perhaps more than required for your needs.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER