Shop Deputy set screw mistake

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jackconnolly
Bronze Member

Shop Deputy set screw mistake

Post by jackconnolly »

Just a heads up folks. I bought a Mark V shopsmith in 1984. I've done various upgrades thru the years. Long story short, I currently run a Mark 7 and upgaded to the power pro headstock. I save all the old Mark V parts and bought the Shopsmith Shop Deputy kit. I've finally got around to the build of the deputy and discovered that I removed the set screws from the casting base (why I did that is still a mystery to me :-( ) page 6 of the install guide tells you to insert the shorty way tube and tighten the set screws. The problem is the pivot rod does not allow you to get a straight shot at the set screw hole. If you try to force it, you will strip out the hole threads because it will cross thread. If that happens you pass go, don't collect $200 and proceed to shopsmith jail (shopsmith hell ... your choice). Good luck trying to find a 40 year old replacement casting. I won't bore you with the gory details, but the 5/32" allen wrenches are fine once the screw is set. The way I got around this is with a tool kit I bought a million years ago. It has a 5/32 allen attachment and flexible tube that you can turn left or right by turning the base of the driver. I was able get the flexible shaft under the pivot rod and get the set screws to thread. Note to self, do not remove set screws if only loosening them gets the job done. The required set screw are 5/16" x 18 x 3/8 . You can use longer set screws but I wouldn't go shorter. Adding a photo of the toolkit. I don't remember where I bought it and the only words on the thing says it was made in Taiwan.
Attachments
IMG_3069.jpeg
IMG_3069.jpeg (301.99 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shop Deputy set screw mistake

Post by JPG »

Fear NOT! That is the way it is supposed to be. Since Greenies(early 1950's) to 198? they have been located where the pivot pin provides an excellent deterrent to accessing the set screws.

Likely placed there to eliminate the plugging of the set screw sockets($$$) with acumpucky to prevent idiots from loosening them when intending to loosen something else. I am guessing the assembly line installed the pivot pin AFTER the set screws were tightened.

It took the Taiwanese clone makers to cause SS Engr to move them back to the top where they were on the original Model 10.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jackconnolly
Bronze Member

Post by jackconnolly »

That makes sense to me. I probably won't hear about this much as my Mark V (like me) is older than dirt. Just glad I can proceed with my Shop Deputy build cuz 30 years of Colorado winds has pummeled my fench gate and having the deputy sitting on my Rockwell jawhorse outside is gonna be real handy. I think on top makes a lot more sense. As my brother the priest likes to inform me, "Patience is a virtue. Catch if you can. Seldom found in woman. Never found in man." :-)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You can tap your own set screw holes on the top of the casting as I did here: viewtopic.php?p=304282#p304282
To get them out from the bottom I have a bent Allen wrench for that.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jackconnolly
Bronze Member

Post by jackconnolly »

I do have a tap and die kit, but this flexi attachment let me use the original set screw holes so I'll go with that. I'm pretty sure I'll never pull the way tubes out of the shop deputy and even I do, I'll just loosen them. I will view your link as I am intrigued with how you skinned this cat. Thanks for the info!
TodorokiShouto
Bronze Member

Post by TodorokiShouto »

The post that edma194 shared is so detailed.