Used Power Pro Headstock

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gac5ss
Gold Member

Used Power Pro Headstock

Post by gac5ss »

I asked this question at the end of my last post on another thread, then realized it may not get the attention of forum members.

I have found a used Power Pro headstock manufactured in 2018. The pictures provided by the seller give the appearance that it is barely used. The set in price to me is around $1800. It is a factory headstock, not a user assembled retro-fit.

I know Shopsmith has their user kits on sale for a few hundred more after shipping right now.

Should I be concerned that the unit will breakdown because of historical defects for that year model? How reliable is the replacement parts service? Should I bite the bullet and go for the new headstock?

Thanks
Jerry
john_001
Gold Member

Re: Used Power Pro Headstock

Post by john_001 »

You're saving a few hundred but you're not getting a warranty. Plus, why is he selling it without the rest of the machine? I think I'd pass.
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

john_001 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:33 am You're saving a few hundred but you're not getting a warranty. Plus, why is he selling it without the rest of the machine? I think I'd pass.
This is why I asked. Buying a $300 speed increaser has much lower risk than the $1700 used headstock. That is why I asked about potential service from Shopsmith repair service / parts. Also was looking for any known issues with a 2018 date manufactured machine.

The seller appears to be someone who buys complete units and then parts them out. He is on eBay and Facebook Marketplace. There are several who do so on these venues.

Concerning the Shopsmith warranty, I do not see a stated warranty for the PowerPro headstock.

With Shopsmith's current special, the PowerPro upgrade is $2073.59 after shipping and Tax. The PowerPro complete headstock is $2537.46 after shipping and tax. My delivered price for the used 2018 headstock would be $1786.71.

Thanks
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

gac5ss wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:29 am How reliable is the replacement parts service?
It took me several months to obtain a replacement Power Supply / Control Module last year. But I did get it. It appears to me that SS has gone to a different motor and motor mounts, so a replacement motor might be a challenge. Shopsmith should be able to answer what it takes to replace the old version motor. Almost certainly all motor mount pieces, but is the new motor otherwise compatible? From what I've seen the motors are very reliable and IIUC have replaceable ball bearings. There is near zero availability of used parts. The main PowerPro parts are repairable by the current supply chain.

The current on-line catalog suggests SS continues to experience challenges in availability, see highlights: https://www.shopsmith.com/shopsmithpowe ... rchase.htm Also note the upgrade kit sale price.

- David
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

David,

Do you think the Power Supply / Control Module the weak point of the PowerPro? Is the dc motor available outside the Shopsmith supply chain?

Keep in mind my use will be basically recreational, I will not be using it for profit such as making stuff to sell. So an 8 hour run on any cut, etc. is beyond my use expectancy.

I just talked to a Shopsmith customer service and was told upgrades ship in 2-4 weeks. Headstocks a little longer.

Back to the used unit, I will still have a backup headstock if something goes wrong and I have to wait on a part.

Thanks
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

My 2nd owner DIY PowerPro suffered a power supply/control board failure in the depths of the pandemic.

This took about 6 months to finally get sorted and back to me.

The original Powerpro upgrade took place in 2013 and prior to me purchasing it-went back to the factory for factory tuneup in 2018.

b
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

gac5ss wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:30 pm Do you think the Power Supply / Control Module the weak point of the PowerPro? Is the dc motor available outside the Shopsmith supply chain?

I just talked to a Shopsmith customer service and was told upgrades ship in 2-4 weeks. Headstocks a little longer.
First, let me state that I'm a huge fan of the Power Pro because the deeper discussions of its 'cons' sometimes masks that. It is quiet, powerful, and requires less maintenance than a conventional headstock. It is a joy to use.

I personally think the weak point in the PowerPro is the Idler bearings. But Idler shafts are cheap and it's not a burden to keep a spare. And for the most part these will run a long time after the bearing would check bad. The Idler runs pretty hot, especially at saw and above speeds, and if you run the headstock fast the Idler spins at up to 16K RPMs. It has been shown here on the forum that somewhat less belt tension reduces the heat. After that I'd guess the Power Supply / Control Module, but I'd like to see actual numbers. There are several people that have been running a PowerPro since they were introduced and have never had a problem. But there have definitely been a few cases here on the forum of users with bad controller modules.

I think that the original PowerPro motor is unique to Shopsmith with unique dovetail mounts. But I suspect the new one is a standard package. Striatech has offered the 1.75 HP motor in a choice of two standard cases in the past, but last time I looked these were hard to come by in the consumer market.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Jerry,

I bought my PowerPro DIY Upgrade around that time. I have not had any problems with it. It is in the shop space of my oversized (30' wide x 36' deep) garage. The garage is insulated but not heated. Currently it is cold in there with outside temperatures to get below freezing again this week. It gets quite hot in there in the summer and we get days over 100 degrees here. It cools and warms slowly in the garage through the seasons each year. That tells you bit about the environment mine works in.

As for the one you are looking at, if it is the same one I have seen I have found that seller is very reliable. That being said there is no warranty on that particular Headstock if you buy it. When I did my DIY upgrade, I put it in an empty "C" Headstock some of which I already had and bought the rest. The "C" Headstock is the current one. This left me with my original Headstock as a backup. I had read of issues others have had with their PowerPro Headstocks when I upgraded mine and decided that was a good plan. If you want one with a warranty you can spend a little more and both the complete Headstock and the DIY are on sale right now.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Have you run the headstock yet? I thought you were talking about cleaning it first. If it runs without a problem then you should be fine. A conventional headstock would make more sense price-wise as a backup. Old working machines with conventional headstocks can be found on Craig's List for good prices. That headstock might need some cleaning and a few parts. That will give you a headstock to use if you have a problem with the PowerPro, and spare parts also. I wouldn't buy a PowerPro sight unseen, if I can't see it plugged in and turned on I wouldn't risk it. Even with the used PowerPro I bought I could turn it on and change speeds. I suppose if you can get your money back if it fails, without having to pay for a ton of shipping, maybe it would be worth the risk, but a non-working PowerPro isn't worth any more than the metal it's made out of.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

According to all the evidence I have, the 520 has been used little. I would say the only things it may need is the two belts, only because they are as old as they are. I will be breaking it down this week. Then I will know if it has any other problems such as a bent pork chop. What ever it takes it will be repaired.

As to the PowerPro headstock, I just saw it and thought I would inquire to my risk of buying that old of a headstock. The pictures make it look almost mint condition. I have bought from that seller with quick and acceptable service. He does not accept returns though. He states that it runs like it should with no discernable issues.

The savings apples to apples landed cost for the used headstock is about 30% less than the new. A $750.75 savings.

Thanks for all the information.