Repairing Quill Spring

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Repairing Quill Spring

Post by DLB »

lewparsell wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:49 am Now I feel so bad for taking your time. I see now that I was looking at it from the wrong side. You have been so helpful and quick to respond. I feel bad for taking up your time. Please accept my apology.
No apology necessary, I'm happy to help if I can. I'm glad if we got it sorted out. Good luck with the rest of your Gen 2 upgrade. I'm still not real clear on the two flat washers Vs. one domed washer part of this.

- David
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

1 of those 2 non-stock washers shown in one of the pictures looks like a Belleville. Maybe prior owner tried to substitute it for item 53 spherical (domed) washer.

Item 53 works something like a Belleville but is shaped differently and not "conical" like a real Belleville.

Bellevilles are handy when a small but strong force spring is needed. They can be stacked in "parallel" and "series" configurations to get all sorts of force/deflection characteristics.
Last edited by SteveMaryland on Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

lewparsell wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:49 am Now I feel so bad for taking your time. I see now that I was looking at it from the wrong side. You have been so helpful and quick to respond. I feel bad for taking up your time. Please accept my apology.
And I apologize for NOT initially looking up what part #53 was and going off on a non relevant tangent re the two quill stop serrated washers.

BTW that B headstock is mine!

Maybe when thee get around to installing those serrated washers my comment will help get them installed correctly.

So no machined seat for the domed washer. WHEW!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Question is, what is the total thickness of the flat + belleville washer compared to the thickness of the domed washer? If close they are a good substitute. JMO
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

So now I notice that lewparsell said "This is a new 2020 machine from ShopSmith" and thus those 2 washers came from the factory, and no prior owner. But sure enough the PP parts list says item 53 and not those 2 washers he has. Mystery continues.

I guess we can't blame this one on prior owners. Maybe Shopsmith ran out of 53 and substituted?? That would be not good at all.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
lewparsell
Silver Member

Post by lewparsell »

Thanks again for your help, it is all done and works well. The only other issue I had was with the upgraded 10 position quill handles. The hub fit real tight and took a little love with a dead blow hammer to get them seated correctly. I found watching Jim latest video to be a better resource then the supplied manual. I'm am still a happy ShopSmith user.
Attachments
20240211_152054.jpg
20240211_152054.jpg (398.33 KiB) Viewed 253 times