Repairing Quill Spring

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MichiganTom
Gold Member

Re: Repairing Quill Spring

Post by MichiganTom »

I caught the washer through the inspection cover on the back side of the headstock. I put my hand in and caught it, was easy for me. When installing after I repaired the spring, I pushed the bushing for the retractor shaft against washer and inserted the shaft through both. I'm not positive if that is different for a M5.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

MichiganTom wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:49 pm I caught the washer through the inspection cover on the back side of the headstock. I put my hand in and caught it, was easy for me. When installing after I repaired the spring, I pushed the bushing for the retractor shaft against washer and inserted the shaft through both. I'm not positive if that is different for a M5.
I am positive it is NOT different. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

JPG wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:29 am
MichiganTom wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:49 pm I caught the washer through the inspection cover on the back side of the headstock. I put my hand in and caught it, was easy for me. When installing after I repaired the spring, I pushed the bushing for the retractor shaft against washer and inserted the shaft through both. I'm not positive if that is different for a M5.
I am positive it is NOT different. :)
👍
Bronze Member

Post by 510 »

When you say Scott's Video, where do I find that video. Appreciate your help.
Thank you
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Here are links to some videos on the quill feed. Not sure if these are what you are looking for.

Scott Markwood /My Growth Rings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rboI7qTKgOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5KwFVeQFs

Jacob Andersons - Quill Feed Mechanism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbHVTwSp9DI&t=368s

John Coyne - Reattaching the Quill Feed Spring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjeE8HK5mPQ

Shopsmith Hands Online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn1CMcMrd_s
Bronze Member

Post by 510 »

Benmch Thank you for the Links they were very helpful. It was the pin that holds the spring that came out. I do not think it is the original pin. In any event I put that pin in again / firmly hammered it in. I think it will stay, sure hope it does. I did drop the Washer into the motor and had to lower the motor housing somewhat and then use magnate to get it out. Definite learning experience. Again, thank you.
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

This link might be helpful if someone has lost the pin that holds the spring.
viewtopic.php?t=17494
lewparsell
Silver Member

Post by lewparsell »

Great picture of the quill feed washers #53. I am upgrading my Mark 7 the the new Gen 2 controller and I have 2 of these same washers in the correct position and orientation. Should there only be just 1?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

lewparsell wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:53 pm Great picture of the quill feed washers #53. I am upgrading my Mark 7 the the new Gen 2 controller and I have 2 of these same washers in the correct position and orientation. Should there only be just 1?
This is the 'domed' washer, correct? Normally there is just one. I don't think it would cause a problem if there were two, as long as they are in the correct position/orientation. I don't think Gen 2 changes this, or see why it would. IIWM, as long as the quill locks and unlocks I wouldn't change it.

- David
lewparsell
Silver Member

Post by lewparsell »

There is a grove ground in to the casting where the washer or washers set. This is a new 2020 machine from ShopSmith. I am wondering if this was an error in assembly or a change in design. I am in the process of upgrading it to the Gen 2 controller when I found this out. I could leave them both there however I do not want to cause more damage.
Attachments
20240210_230036.jpg
20240210_230036.jpg (309.92 KiB) Viewed 566 times