Which way do you turn your SPT lock handles?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Which way do you turn your SPT lock handles?

Post by edma194 »

I figured people would do it differently. I see others do it the same way I do, but I could understand people who want the handles to rotate in the same direction to lock on both sides of the machine.
JPG wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:06 pm Makes sense. Right hand used on the right end, left hand used on the left end.
I did used to use my left hand more often. I have a lot of arthritis and nerve problems that affect my left hand more so my right hand taking over a lot. I just caught myself the other day trying to something clumsily with left hand then turning around to get it done with my right hand.
More important is the proper adjustment of the screws in the clamp.
Absolutely. Handle orientation is a choice, but the screws have to extend equal distance out of the sides of the handle when you insert it into the casting. Otherwise you can end up locking the screw head on the SPT tube on only one side and just the side of the handle forced against the casting on the other side.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

More important is the proper adjustment of the screws in the clamp.
Definitely!
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I usually turn them the wrong way. :D

I took a class through the Traveling Academy, probably in the last couple years that it was being held. The instructor suggested a method, I can't remember if it was front up or down to tighten as you looked at it from the end of the machine. Made sense, I did that on my 500, whenever I pull it out, I'll do look at it and do the same on my 510.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roy_okc wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:05 pm I usually turn them the wrong way. :D

I took a class through the Traveling Academy, probably in the last couple years that it was being held. The instructor suggested a method, I can't remember if it was front up or down to tighten as you looked at it from the end of the machine. Made sense, I did that on my 500, whenever I pull it out, I'll do look at it and do the same on my 510.
I am curious if the suggestion included reversal for opposing ends of the SS.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

JPG wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:32 am I am curious if the suggestion included reversal for opposing ends of the SS.
JPG, both handles are configured to tighten/loosen the same way when you are at the end of the machine, I *think* it was down to tighten/up to loosen. Maybe it was mentioned to "tighten it down" and "loosen it up" as a way to help remember.

Thus, they would be opposite "clockwise" when facing the machine from the front. It makes a lot of sense if you typically are at the end of the machine when installing/removing things from the ends, maybe less so if you're doing it from the front.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have this double tilt casting and a lock handle sitting here in front of me with an extension table mounted. When I turn the lock handle one way it locks and when I turn it the other direction it comes unlocked.

Now if I unlock that handle, flip it end for end and repeat the previous process....what should I expect? Should it work the same way or bass ackwards?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It will work in reverse of before.(bass ackwards)

How else does one get it to reverse???

Think of it this way; when rotated(and the screws are prevented from rotating also) upward rotation on one 'side' produces either extension or retraction of the screws from the rotating body. By necessity the opposite 'side' is rotating down ward at the same time. Now flipping it end for end will move the down side to where the up side was previously and vice versa.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

It will work the same on either end. You are not flipping the casting you are rotating the casting in the horizontal plane 180° to get it to the opposite end. So rotating clockwise on the left end to tighten (rotation "up") will result still rotating up on the right end but will be counter clockwise on that end. Clockwise/counter clockwise as viewed from the operator (front) position.

So I guess the question is what is the same. Up to lock on both ends is the same in my mind. However one end is clockwise and the other end is counter clockwise. Up on both ends to lock is more intuitive IMO than trying to remember which end is clockwise or counter clockwise. So they are the same but different.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:08 pm It will work in reverse of before.(bass ackwards)

How else does one get it to reverse???

Thanks a bunch. I was thinking that if I just turned it the opposite direction it would do the opposite.

Think of it this way; when rotated(and the screws are prevented from rotating also) upward rotation on one 'side' produces either extension or retraction of the screws from the rotating body. By necessity the opposite 'side' is rotating down ward at the same time. Now flipping it end for end will move the down side to where the up side was previously and vice versa.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

This is also the way turnbuckles work, with left and right threads on either end. And of course the same way the headstock lock works also with the wedges mount on opposite threads ends of the rod.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER