HDPE or Masonite for zero clearance insert?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

steverboss
Gold Member

HDPE or Masonite for zero clearance insert?

Post by steverboss »

I’m going to make a zero clearance insert for my 510 and was wondering if anyone has used HDPE, or do most of you used Masonite or what? And what thickness material is best?
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: HDPE or Masonite for zero clearance insert?

Post by dusty »

I use 1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood and route the under edges to fit down flush.

I have used masonite but I have not been able to find rea; quality masonite. Box stores want to call it hard board. No thanks
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Some years back, I used some leftover laminate flooring for a 500 ZCI. It was the right thickness, machines easy, is strong, has very low friction, etc. I've not tried to make one for my 510, so unsure if it is the (near) right thickness for the new table style.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I have some left over aromatic cedar closet liner. It happens to be the exact thickness needed to make ZCI inserts.
steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

I use 1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood and route the under edges to fit down flush.
Resized Inserts.jpg
Resized Inserts.jpg (24.11 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Ready to be drilled and slot cut.

I have used masonite but I have not been able to find rea; quality masonite. Box stores want to call it hard board. No thanks
[/quote]

Good idea Dusty, I’ll buy a 4 X 8 sheet of Baltic birch tomorrow just for that insert! 😆 Now I know why you are called Dusty. 🙄 By the way, Masonite is just a brand name, so if they are not buying that brand, they must just call it “hard board”.
Last edited by steverboss on Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You probably will not find 4x8 baltic birch and you might not find it in a box store. I buy from Woodworkers Source and try to keep sizable pieces on hand. I enjoy working with it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

Ok everybody, let’s just save time and eliminate the “I use Baltic birch” replies as I do not have any an am not going to buy it.
steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

dusty wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:37 pm You probably will not find 4x8 baltic birch and you might not find it in a box store. I buy from Woodworkers Source and try to keep sizable pieces on hand. I enjoy working with it.
1/2 inch Baltic birch is $117 for 4x8 sheet at Woodworkers Source!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

steverboss wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:30 pm
dusty wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:39 pm I use 1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood and route the under edges to fit down flush.

Good idea Dusty, I’ll buy a 4 X 8 sheet of Baltic birch tomorrow just for that insert! 😆 Now I know why you are called Dusty. 🙄 By the way, Masonite is just a brand name, so if they are not buying that brand, they must just call it “hard board”.
Harsh...you started this thread asking about HDPE versus Masonite. In my experience, HDPE is very expensive so I am surprised by your aversion to Baltic Birch plywood in comparison. IF cost is your primary concern, then by all means go with Masonite/hardboard or whatever you have laying around. Many of us have scrap pieces of Baltic Birch laying around from other projects so it makes sense to use those scraps for things like ZCI's. HDPE would have a much lower coefficient of friction though and would be the ultimate ZCI IMHO.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I've used Baltic Birch for ZCI's in the past, back before you had to take a second mortgage to buy a sheet. Fortunately, I still have a decent amount of it on hand, and I've been told (at my local Woodcraft store) that North American mills are currently gearing up to manufacture comparable plywood.

In the meantime, I don't see any reason that MDF wouldn't work just fine. I haven't tried it myself, but I do have a CAD model of a design that uses 1/2" thick material. I've attached a dimensioned drawing for anyone that might want to use it. Most of the dimensions would make more sense as fractional inches, but there's a couple that need to be decimal, and I haven't figured out how to mix those formats in a Fusion 360 drawing.

I've previously used a template and my overarm pin router to make these. But I now have a new CNC router, which should make it a piece of cake to batch these out. Can't wait to try it.
Attachments
Shopsmith 520 ZCI for Riving Knife Drawing v3.pdf
(188.33 KiB) Downloaded 76 times