Bandsaw wheel alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thejimster
Bronze Member

Bandsaw wheel alignment

Post by thejimster »

Hi,

I just took the plunge and bought a used Mark V 510. I have not done woodworking since I was a kid and decided it was finally time to start making some sawdust! :)

Unfortunately I am having some problems with the bandsaw that I got with my Mark V. The top and bottom wheels seem to be out of alignment. I've searched for info on this and understand that the top wheel should be about 1/8 of an inch back from the bottom wheel, but when I place a straight edge on the bottom wheel, it shows that it is at least 1/2 of an inch out from the top wheel.

I first noticed this because the bottom wheel is rubbing on the faceplate of the bandsaw.

In case it matters, this bandsaw was made in 1993.

Any hints on how to adjust the bottom wheel?

Thanks,
Jim
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

1/2 inch out from the top wheel sounds extreme, but I have not measured mine. Is the lower wheel bearing retainer still in place (number 31 on the following diagram)?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/part ... pview1.htm
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
thejimster
Bronze Member

Post by thejimster »

Actually it's not just the top of the top wheel that is off, but the entire top wheel is offset by about 1/2 of an inch from the bottom wheel. Because the bottom wheel is rubbing on the cover, I am assuming that this is the wheel that is off.

I believe the bottom retainer is in place, but I'll have to check that out tonight to be sure.

I think my next step is to start taking it apart and see if I can figure out why it is like this. Specifically I'll take the bottom wheel off to see if I can see why it is out so far.

Jim
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

thejimster wrote:Actually it's not just the top of the top wheel that is off, but the entire top wheel is offset by about 1/2 of an inch from the bottom wheel. Because the bottom wheel is rubbing on the cover, I am assuming that this is the wheel that is off.

I believe the bottom retainer is in place, but I'll have to check that out tonight to be sure.

I think my next step is to start taking it apart and see if I can figure out why it is like this. Specifically I'll take the bottom wheel off to see if I can see why it is out so far.

Jim
Be aware. There is a sale in progress on bandsaw repair parts. Don't delay getting your order in place.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/spec ... S061OP.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

thejimster wrote: Because the bottom wheel is rubbing on the cover, I am assuming that this is the wheel that is off.

Jim
It does not sound like the bottom wheel's bearing is seated all the way in the frame. The retainer then keeps the bearing/wheel in place.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

thejimster wrote:Actually it's not just the top of the top wheel that is off, but the entire top wheel is offset by about 1/2 of an inch from the bottom wheel. Because the bottom wheel is rubbing on the cover, I am assuming that this is the wheel that is off.

Jim
I agree with SDSSMITH, it does not sound like your lower wheel is properly installed.

I took a couple pictures that are intended to show how the two wheels relate to one another (in terms of not being coplanar). The lower wheel does set forward of the the upper wheel but does not rub on anything.

I hope this help with your analysis.

[ATTACH]3676[/ATTACH]
Straight edge attached across lower wheel.

[ATTACH]3677[/ATTACH]
Offset about 1/4" forward of upper wheel (top).

[ATTACH]3678[/ATTACH]
Offset about 3/8" forward of upper wheel (lower)
Attachments
P3250016.JPG
P3250016.JPG (154.83 KiB) Viewed 16625 times
P3250019.JPG
P3250019.JPG (136.27 KiB) Viewed 16616 times
P3250020.JPG
P3250020.JPG (136.5 KiB) Viewed 16613 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I agree with SDSSMITH, it does not sound like your lower wheel is properly installed.

I took a couple pictures that are intended to show how the two wheels relate to one another (in terms of not being coplanar). The lower wheel does set forward of the the upper wheel but does not rub on anything.

I hope this help with your analysis.

[ATTACH]3676[/ATTACH]
Straight edge attached across lower wheel.

[ATTACH]3677[/ATTACH]
Offset about 1/4" forward of upper wheel (top).

[ATTACH]3678[/ATTACH]
Offset about 3/8" forward of upper wheel (lower)
I'm Confused! I thought it was supposed to lean the other direction(top toward 'frame').:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't know about that. I just know that what you see is what I have. It seems to track properly - I think.

Do you have pictures that you could post to show what you believe is suppose to be?

Anyone else have an input. I have two bandsaws and they are both similar (in this regard). Maybe I have a problem and in my ignorance I don't even know.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I don't know about that. I just know that what you see is what I have. It seems to track properly - I think.

Do you have pictures that you could post to show what you believe is suppose to be?

Anyone else have an input. I have two bandsaws and they are both similar (in this regard). Maybe I have a problem and in my ignorance I don't even know.
Was the blade tension set, or was it 'loose' when these pic were taken?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:Was the blade tension set, or was it 'loose' when these pic were taken?
The blade was tensioned. I had just finished re-sawing some pine molding.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty