Lowe's changes veteran/military discount

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Lowe's changes veteran/military discount

Post by RFGuy »

Posting this for anyone interested. I know many times in the past on this forum, Lowe's hardware/big box store has been brought up as a good place for purchasing items including Shopsmith parts such as the PowerPro. This was because they used to offer a 10% discount on most items for active service or military veterans. It seems like they are cutting this program back quite a bit. In fact, it seems that major appliances are now excluded from this discount. Also, the PowerPro used to be listed on the website, but I can only find a few Shopsmith upgrade items on the Lowe's website now. Not sure if any of Shopsmith's products get a 10% discount anymore from Lowe's. Below is one article that discusses the discount issues with Lowe's:

https://bestlifeonline.com/lowes-milita ... lash-news/
πŸ“ΆRF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TSβ„’ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Lowe's changes veteran/military discount

Post by jsburger »

Home Depot is the same for appliances but it is different. AAFES (BX/PX) has partnered with Home Depot to fulfill appliance orders. You order the appliance on the AAFES web site (available to all veterans) and the order is fulfilled and delivered by Home Depot. The products on the AFFES web site are already discounted. It is supposed to start this year.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... -deal.html
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: ↑Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:38 pm Home Depot is the same for appliances but it is different. AAFES (BX/PX) has partnered with Home Depot to fulfill appliance orders. You order the appliance on the AAFES web site (available to all veterans) and the order is fulfilled and delivered by Home Depot. The products on the AFFES web site are already discounted. It is supposed to start this year.
I did not know that 'regular' veterans could shop on line at AAFES! Last time I shopped at AAFES was in the 80's as a contractor at an overseas US military base. I've confirmed that this is available and will check it out. Tax-free shopping, that's an 8.25% cost avoidance where I live.

At both HD and Lowes now I find it is a guessing game whether or not an item will be discounted (though not on major appliances). For example I wanted a DeWalt 60V battery string trimmer at HD. I selected one packaged with a Blower, Battery, and Charger and it was not eligible. I selected the same thing without the Blower, at a lower price, and it was eligible. Neither was on sale. Employees said they could not tell me which items it might apply to without ringing up the sale. Makes it difficult if you are considering options based on price.

- David
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I often compare package deals online before going to the store. If you add the item to the shopping cart online, the discount is displayed if eligible.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: ↑Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:13 am
jsburger wrote: ↑Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:38 pm Home Depot is the same for appliances but it is different. AAFES (BX/PX) has partnered with Home Depot to fulfill appliance orders. You order the appliance on the AAFES web site (available to all veterans) and the order is fulfilled and delivered by Home Depot. The products on the AFFES web site are already discounted. It is supposed to start this year.
I did not know that 'regular' veterans could shop on line at AAFES! Last time I shopped at AAFES was in the 80's as a contractor at an overseas US military base. I've confirmed that this is available and will check it out. Tax-free shopping, that's an 8.25% cost avoidance where I live.

At both HD and Lowes now I find it is a guessing game whether or not an item will be discounted (though not on major appliances). For example I wanted a DeWalt 60V battery string trimmer at HD. I selected one packaged with a Blower, Battery, and Charger and it was not eligible. I selected the same thing without the Blower, at a lower price, and it was eligible. Neither was on sale. Employees said they could not tell me which items it might apply to without ringing up the sale. Makes it difficult if you are considering options based on price.

- David
That was a change made a couple of years ago.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What pray tell is a "regular" veteran???
╔═══╗
β•ŸJPG β•’
β•šβ•β•β•β•

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

JPG wrote: ↑Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 pm What pray tell is a "regular" veteran???
A "regular" veteran is a veteran that is not retired from the military, or disabled. These groups are not elegible for all the benefits that a retired or disabled vet can get.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: ↑Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 pm What pray tell is a "regular" veteran???
Maybe a poor choice of words. All that served are veterans. However, if you served and made it a career and retired you get some extra privileges. You and your spouse have a retired DOD ID card that gets you access to any military installation. That gets you access to the Exchange, the Commissary, the Gym, MWR (Morale,Welfare, Recreation) , etc.MWR has boats and trailers, camping trailers, ski equipment here in Utah, discount concert tickets , discount travel options, etc.

Non retired vets don't get those privileges. If you are enrolled in the VA medical system (all vets are eligible) you get a VA ID card but that is only good for the VA. It doesn't get you on DOD installations. 5-6 years ago Congress told the VA to issue all veterans an ID card to identify them as a Vet. These are different than the VA enrollment card. It just says you are a Vet and still does not get you access to military installations. That means you can use it for discounts in stores that require veterans ID for discounts instead of carrying around your DD214 that shows you served.

Now the Exchange system Is allowing all veterans regardless of status access to the online web site for purchases, You have to be in DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) to verify your eligibility and get in. All vets should be in the system and if not you can correct that with your DD214.

Sorry James, a long explanation but many vets out there don't know the things that have changed in the last few years.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Long (and accurate) is good!

Thank You
╔═══╗
β•ŸJPG β•’
β•šβ•β•β•β•

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dmuecke
Bronze Member

Post by dmuecke »

I attempted to purchase the 500 to 520 table upgrade from Lowes May 2023 my order was cancelled two times. I finally attended a webinar and purchased it with a small discount from Mike Young, however there is no free shipping from Shopsmith. I was told that purchasing from Lowes would be discontinued. I sure hate to here that as I purchased a Power Pro DIY upgrade through Lowes a few years ago and saved a ton of money.