Bearing noise?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chasboy1
Gold Member

Bearing noise?

Post by Chasboy1 »

I’ve been having a problem with noises from my ‘54 Mark5 powerhead. I’ve fixed most of them but then another crops up. This one seems to come from the right side while the 12” disc sander is mounted. It’s loud, ‘gravelly” yet gets quieter when pressure is applied to the disc.
thanks!
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Bearing noise?

Post by DLB »

Chasboy1 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:38 am I’ve been having a problem with noises from my ‘54 Mark5 powerhead. I’ve fixed most of them but then another crops up. This one seems to come from the right side while the 12” disc sander is mounted. It’s loud, ‘gravelly” yet gets quieter when pressure is applied to the disc.
thanks!
My first thought is the Quill bearing. Is it still a Gilmer belt version? IIRC there was a wearing part that mounts where the Drive and Ring goes on newer models, not a drive part but intended to quiet the metal to metal drive of the Gilmer Drive Sleeve. This was not available last time I looked, which was at least 30 years ago, but maybe someone is 3D printing them now.(?)

- David
Chasboy1
Gold Member

Post by Chasboy1 »

Yes it’s a Gilmer belt. Hate to pull it apart again. What about a newer 2 bearing quill that I’ve seen mentioned?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Chasboy1,

The 2 bearing Quill is for the Poly V Drive Quill. The Quills are not interchangeable. To have a 2 bearing Gilmer Drive Quill requires machining one. David mentioned a part that was added to later Gilmer Drive Sleeve Assemblies. A nylon collar was added to the Quill side of the Drive Sleeve Assembly as first shown in the 10-56 6th edition of the Owner's Guide. You can see that nylon collar on the Drive Sleeve Assembly in the picture below. This Drive Sleeve Assembly is the later clutch version which may be different than yours if you still have the original non-clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly that came in your 1954 Mark 5 from the factory. The arrow shows where the set screw is on the clutched version and the set screw on the non-clutched version is in the gear teeth.

_
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve - arrow.jpg
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve - arrow.jpg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 324 times
The clutch was added to the Gilmer Drive Sleeve Assembly to allow slippage in the drive system to help avoid breaking belts.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.