The Woodshop Curse, Stuff That Does Not Belong There...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

The Woodshop Curse, Stuff That Does Not Belong There...

Post by robinson46176 »

I have a fairly large (1,500 sq. ft.) basement woodshop under what I refer to as the east wing of the house. I felt that I have plenty of space to spare but no... :o
I tend to have general clutter in my shop most of the time but some space consumers are "almost relevant". One example is a small sewing area where I have several commercial and leather machines from my past. I consider a small upholstery area as belonging in the woodshop. Wood storage is a space eater and I do keep some wood in other building on the farm but I want to have enough in the shop that I can work on something without running out of the shop hunting a piece.
The big space waster is the stuff that does not belong there at all. For that stuff I need a place to move it to while we sort it and sell much of it (antiques etc.)
I also may also remove one more Shopsmith from the shop, possibly the Mark VII. My needs have become simpler over time and I am sure my son has no interest in it as a collectable.

How many of you suffer from "Woodshop Curse"?

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Re: The Woodshop Curse, Stuff That Does Not Belong There...

Post by ryanbp01 »

I feel you're a kindred spirit. My shop suffers from being too small. Not only does it contain my Shopsmith, it also has a rocker which I have been trying to teach myself how to cane plus storage for my HO train modules plus some G scale stuff for an outdoor model railroad I hope to get started on. I also have a 10E, #5366 with a scroll saw attachment, a miter saw on its own mobile stand, plus a utility cart which also serves for tool storage.
BPR
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

HMMMMMMM!

MUST BE AN INDIANA THINGIE.

SOME OF IT SPILLED OVER INTO KY! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I have almost 1000 sq.ft. in the addition basement (known as 'down cellar' here in the strange state of Rhode Island). I'm trying to cram the workshop into half that space. I dream that someday I'll have a pool table in the other half. For now storage has spilled into the future billiards room, but over time most of that will move into the old down cellar (pronounced 'down sell-ah' hereabouts), along with some tools.

What doesn't belong there? Mainly old equipment including Shopsmiths that will maybe get refurbished someday. That almost half those machines are just for parts. I can eventually move a lot of that outside to a storage container. Wood storage was mentioned above and I'm not doing that efficiently, but I don't want to dig through a deep pile of boards to get to the one I need.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I can relate. We have a lot of non-shop/garage items currently there. It needs to be sorted through and most sent elsewhere. That would give me more room for Shopsmith Tools. :)
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Sounds like we have enough to start a support group!! 😉
BPR
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I no longer have that problem with my shop. I have about 800 square feet in the basement and after 35 years I have finally convinced my wife not to dump stuff she doesn't want in the shop ... In our new house, it is a much shorter distance to the garage so that's where everything gets dumped now. :(

The shop does still contain a rarely used 2nd Mark 5 520 and my dad's 1960's radial arm saw. Those are both under the stairs so not cluttering stuff up much.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER