2 Simple fun weekend peojects

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

2 Simple fun weekend peojects

Post by STB »

Just for fun of makeing sawdust. (AKA Man Glitter)
20230312_171107.jpg
20230312_171107.jpg (220.96 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: 2 Simple fun weekend peojects

Post by nuhobby »

Those are quite nice, thanks for showing!

For myself, those shapes would not be "simple" :)

Chris
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The wishbone shape is definitely unique, and very cool. What was your process for making it? I'm guessing that it involved a lot of hand-sculpting & sanding.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'd like to know more about how you made the one on the right. Did you spot the final form of that wishbone in a tree branch? I'm very impressed by woodworkers who have an eye for that sort of thing.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Cool Projects!

Very unique. I am also waiting for the answers to the previous questions.

John
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

I'd like to know more about how you made the one on the right. Did you spot the final form of that wishbone in a tree branch? I'm very impressed by woodworkers who have an eye for that sort of thing.
[/quote]

For the infinity heart I started with a 3/4 black walnut after drawing the image the design was cut out on the SS scroll saw and cleaned up with a rasp, utility knife and sandpaper on both sides (to keep clumsy hands from breaking it) then split in two and finished with Swedish linseed oil. I wrapped it up in Valintine wrapping paper and give it to my wife for Valintine day. She asked me why I put a figure eight in the heart.
As for the wishbone there was no artistic flash or incite. A friend was just diagnosed with cancer and her daughter asked me to make her a wishbone. I think I messed up by mounting it I think she wanted her mother to use it like a comfort Angle.
After drawing the pattern on a 3/4 black walnut board the image was cut on the band saw and freehand scrupled using the SS belt sander, spindle sander and cleaned up with a rap.
P!.jpg
P!.jpg (155.63 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (309.55 KiB) Viewed 1669 times

PS I was asked to make a trebuchet for a 8-year-old birthday.
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Nice work and really appreciate the story behind them! Thanks for sharing. :)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

very nice !!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

edma194 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:40 pm I'd like to know more about how you made the one on the right. Did you spot the final form of that wishbone in a tree branch? I'm very impressed by woodworkers who have an eye for that sort of thing.
STB wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:56 am As for the wishbone there was no artistic flash or incite. A friend was just diagnosed with cancer and her daughter asked me to make her a wishbone. I think I messed up by mounting it I think she wanted her mother to use it like a comfort Angle.
After drawing the pattern on a 3/4 black walnut board the image was cut on the band saw and freehand scrupled using the SS belt sander, spindle sander and cleaned up with a rap.
What you did produce in the end is quite artistic in itself. Great natural looking form altogether. Very nice work on both pieces. The trebuchet and it's more orthogonal components would be more suited to my skills. That looks good too, and must have been quite fun to build.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER