Power Station

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Power Station

Post by dusty »

I have had and used a Power Station for years but have not used mine for a couple years now (since I moved). Yesterday I set out to clean and lubricate all of the shop equipment that has been setting idle. First candidate was the Power Station. I was shocked at how noisy mine is. Did I just forget?

Is there anything that needs to be lubricated that I might have ignored.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Power Station

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

My guess is that your belts took a set, and that they're just exciting the flat sheet-metal mounting base resonances more than usual.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Power Stations are pretty noisy. But how noisy is too noisy? First thing I'd try is Belt Dressing, because the OEM-style belts might have taken a set. The only standard lubrication I know of is the motor bushings, though I use a bit of grease on the variator shaft too. (Not required/recommended per manual.)

Two 'known' improvements are segmented belts and Dennis' angle iron reinforced Base. I had both on my to-do list when I decided on a mini instead.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I can't say with any certainty at all just how long it has been without being run so it is quite likely that the belts took a set. I turned it on and ran it up and down a few times. I think I could hear the noise level reducing.

However, with my hearing aids, no matter where I have them set some frequencies are exaggerated while others are suppressed.

The motor on mine has an oil cap but what I hear is not bearing noise.

Yes, I wish I had done the angle iron reinforcement but that is no longer likely to happen here.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Link belts may help. Scott did this on My Growth Rings. If I ever want to use my Power Station I'll change to link belts. I'll also use something to reinforce the top and deaden vibrations. I think the rest of the stand is a little shaky also and needs some bracing or gussets. Adding a switch to change motor direction could be useful sometimes and the motors come with wiring instructions for that. And finally, it needs a better way to adjust belt tension from the motor. It makes more sense for me to make shorty to use instead of the Power Station because I have the parts, but I think if the work is done to tame the noise and another Shopsmith is not and option then the Power Station would be useful.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER