Band Saw Bird House

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

Band Saw Bird House

Post by STB »

Turning firewood into a Birdhouse. The birds are chirping away seems like a good time to hang a birdhouse.
B1.jpg
B1.jpg (248.26 KiB) Viewed 6803 times
B4.jpg
B4.jpg (315.35 KiB) Viewed 6803 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Band Saw Bird House

Post by algale »

I've never seen one done that way and I like it! What a fun project!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

That is a neat bird house/project!

Coincidently I am building bird houses right now and if I may, I might try this in the future. I have some small apple and elm logs that are from trees cut on our property a couple of years ago.

I'll try to post pictures when I finish my current house.

John
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I like it! Keep it natural.

I had a big old ash-borer killed ash tree finally uproot this winter. It was in tbe woods, but the tree crown fell into my front yard. After I cleaned up the brush and cut the firewood, the fresh-cut stump pointing at my house was a bit of an eyesore.

I had a dim recollection of a natural “stain” made by dissolving steel wood in vinegar. So I stole about a cup if my wife’s vinegar, and threw in a small chunk of steel wool. After a week or so, the steel wool had disappeared, and I used a junk paintbrush to coat the raw stump cut with the vinegar solution. A week or less after that, the fresh-cut surface of the stump had turned a nice dark gray, looking as if it had been weathering for years.

So if you want the fresh-cut surfaces if your rustic birdhouse to also look rustic, that could be a very cheap and easy technique.
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

john wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:16 pm That is a neat bird house/project!

Coincidently I am building bird houses right now and if I may, I might try this in the future. I have some small apple and elm logs that are from trees cut on our property a couple of years ago.

I'll try to post pictures when I finish my current house.

John
I live in the Mohave desert in a wet year we get something like an inch of rain so a flat top birdhouse is ok but in a snowy, rainy part of Quebec a birdhouse with a slanted roof may be more appropriate.
BH1.jpg
BH1.jpg (272.87 KiB) Viewed 6606 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't really thought of that.

All the bird houses I have made so far have peaked or rounded roofs but I will keep your suggestion in mind if I attempt a house from a log.

I have used the band saw technique to make music boxes for a couple of great grand daughters so I am familiar with the process using flat wood.

John
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Looking at the logs I have to make something like that. Not much but pine left on the property right now but I
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Post from tonyadams reported.

And removed.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

^^Reported
And removed
Ed from Rhode Island