Epoxy repair a band saw fence handle?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wgander
Gold Member

Post by wgander »

Would an epoxy repair of the band saw fence handle (Part 13) last?
The tension bolt and part of the handle broke off; I'm not sure coating both parts with epoxy and joining them would be a satisfactory repair because of the twisting force applied when tightening the fence handle.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

[quote="wgander"]Would an epoxy repair of the band saw fence handle (Part 13) last?
The tension bolt and part of the handle broke off]

I have been unsuccessful using various epoxies when there will be pressure or a twisting action on the part. The new handle is less than $10 from Shopsmith so I would replace it. As a quick fix, I would use a piece of threaded rod with 2 nuts or a long bolt to replace the broken rod. Use a wrench on the nuts or bolt head to tighten/loosen the fence until you find a replacement. I have seen some beautiful hardwood handles made on the Shopsmith along with long bolts used for matching handles on the Shopsmith.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
wgander
Gold Member

handle repair

Post by wgander »

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.
...guess I'll have to start making up a shopping list...:rolleyes: