Drill Chuck key holder

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

Drill Chuck key holder

Post by tfrayne »

After neglecting my Mk V, as well as the rest of my shop, for about a year now, I am finally getting to spend some time in the shop. Last year seemed to be all about my project car....

I have two drill chucks for my Mk V. The one that came with it, and another that fits into the tailstock. That chuck will hold a bit stationary as the workpiece rotates. They each have their own chuck key, and they are not compatible with each other.

I had placed a large magnet on the back side of the headstock to hold them. And yes.... I get them mixed up all the time.

To correct this, I pained a thin yellow strip on the ShopSmith chuck, and painted the tip of the chuck key to match.

Then, I made a holder for both of the keys. The magnet was ugly but useful. I had a few scraps of curly maple and purple heart wood left over from a mallet I made awhile back. I did a quick glue up of the two and cut it to size. Then I drilled a recess into the back for the big ugly magnet. I then drilled into the top two holes that would cut into the recess such that when the keys are placed into the holes, they will contact the face of the magnet.

my apologies for the sideways photos, still haven't figured out photos....
Attachments
drill chuck key holder.jpeg
drill chuck key holder.jpeg (55.68 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
Drill Chucks.jpeg
Drill Chucks.jpeg (54.83 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
STB
Gold Member

Re: Drill Chuck key holder

Post by STB »

tfrayne wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:14 pm

To correct this, I pained a thin yellow strip on the ShopSmith chuck, and painted the tip of the chuck key to match.

Then, I made a holder for both of the keys. The magnet was ugly but useful. I had a few scraps of curly maple and purple heart wood left over from a mallet I made awhile back. I did a quick glue up of the two and cut it to size. Then I drilled a recess into the back for the big ugly magnet. I then drilled into the top two holes that would cut into the recess such that when the keys are placed into the holes, they will contact the face of the magnet.

thum.jpg
thum.jpg (2.57 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I have a magnetic tray on the headstock of my drill press. Just one chuck key but I keep two hex keys on there and have a simple way to tell what the correct one is: It will be the second one I pick up every time.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

tfrayne wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:14 pm
my apologies for the sideways photos, still haven't figured out photos....
The trick with the photos is. always hold your phone in landscape mode, ie. long direction side to side, when taking them. I tend to set the aspect ratio as [1:1] myself, but that is just me.
The way the phpBB software handles photos is a bit different than the way most other software does, and the above is the only hassle free way to accommodate it's idiosyncrasies. Photo editing software will let you rotate the photos after the fact, but they don't all do it in a way that pphBB recognizes.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Thanks RPD!
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!