Pro Planer Table not level problems

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

killscreen123
Silver Member

Re: Pro Planer Table not level problems

Post by killscreen123 »

procrastinator wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 am Just wondering if all the mentioned planer issues were present before the helical cutterhead replacement?
I'm assuming they were present somewhat before the cutter head was replaced with a helical head. I honestly didn't notice much of a discrepancy as my skills were not where they are today when I first started using the Pro Planer.

That being said, when I replaced the original super dull knifes with a freshly sharpened set. Things seemed good until I noticed the issues described here. I assumed perhaps I didn't level the knives well enough, or maybe the knives shifted slightly after my initial tests. I spent a long time adjusting the knives prior and did not want to have to spend the time to correct it seeing as my new helical head was on its way.

When I replaced it with the helical head I just assumed it would be perfect due to the fact that there is no way to level a helical head itself. The bearings appeared to be of quality Japanese make and had zero play in the bearing supports when the head was mounted.

Next time I'm in the shop I will take all of the advice given to me in this post and will see how things go!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Pro Planer Table not level problems

Post by JPG »

Assuming you are starting at 12 o'clock position, yes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange