Noisy quill?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chasboy1
Gold Member

Noisy quill?

Post by Chasboy1 »

Hi folks, I don’t know if I need a new quill with 2 bearings or it’s something else. I had the machine nice and quiet after adjusting the belts and pulleys at that end. I put the sanding disc on and it got loud, like there were marbles banging around in there. It would quiet down a bit when I put pressure on the disc, but then it would come back. Now in drill press mode or with the bandsaw at the other end, the noise is still there but not as severe.
Any ideas folks? I even held my stethoscope to the area but it left me unsure of the actual source of the noise.
Thanks!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Noisy quill?

Post by JPG »

Which SS Model?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Chasboy1,

If you recall, we discussed the 2 Bearing Quill a bit in your thread "Bearing Noise" at the link below.

viewtopic.php?p=307013#p307013

To change to the 2 Bearing Quill on a 1954 Greenie would require changing to the Poly V Drive Sleeve Assembly, part of the Idler Assembly and change to the Poly V belt. As I said in the "Bearing Noise" Thread
To have a 2 bearing Gilmer Drive Quill requires machining one.
For now, I would suggest removing the Quill from the Headstock to see if the Spindle turns freely and smoothly in the Quill. If it does, I would look further for a problem. If it doesn't turn freely and smoothly the bearing is a problem.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Chasboy1
Gold Member

Post by Chasboy1 »

Thanks Russ and JPG. It’s a 1954 Mark V. I thought I’d asked this before.
I’ve removed the quill and the spindle moves fine. There is a bit of play when it’s in the proper position.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You said,
There is a bit of play when it’s in the proper position.
If this means when it is in the Headstock, how was it when out of the Headstock? If the Spindle still moves fine but there is some "wobble" in it than I would suggest replacing the Bearing.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Wobble is quite normal for single bearing quills at the drive sleeve end of the splined shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chasboy1
Gold Member

Post by Chasboy1 »

My problem is the noise gets loud with the disk sander on it and it didn’t have that noise years ago. Should I attempt to record it and post here?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You DO have a Mark 5/V? It could be caused by wear of the control sheave keyway allowing it to interfere with the idler sheave.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Chasboy1
Gold Member

Post by Chasboy1 »

YES, it’s a 1954
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Chasboy1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:54 am My problem is the noise gets loud with the disk sander on it and it didn’t have that noise years ago. Should I attempt to record it and post here?
Unfortunately, the forum does not allow video or audio files as direct attachments. Others have posted videos to YouTube and provided a link. I have used Dropbox to do the same. The only downside to posting files elsewhere and providing a link is that if the source is ever removed, or if the hosting service goes defunct, the links will no longer work. But, if posting a link to a video with sound will help you demonstrate your issue, and hopefully help someone provide an answer or solution, go for it!