Changing belts - TotalShop - Upper drive shaft stuck

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Changing belts - TotalShop - Upper drive shaft stuck

Post by DLB »

I have one Mark headstock where the fit is so loose that the outer bearing race rotates while the machine is running. Because of that, I considered one of several Loctite products made specifically to bond bearing races. IF such a product was used then heat can aid in removal. Similarly, if it was an interference fit then heat may also help because the CTE of aluminum is higher than that of steel, so it normally expands more when hot. Plus if heat is applied carefully one can heat the casing more than the bearings and shaft. Use heat sparingly.

Excessive force risks cracking the headstock casting. BTDT. Having maybe learned my lesson, I'd try heat before too much hammering or hydraulics.

I don't see any pic that assures me that there isn't something retaining the inner bearing in the out direction. Though it doesn't seem logical for that something to exist, IIWM I'd check.

Just brainstorming some thoughts here. Zero experience with the Total Shop. This is a fairly loose fit on the SS, once the outer Spirolox retainer is removed the assembly comes right out. And I presume you could push it in the same way, just harder to get the Spirolox off from inside the headstock and I've never tried it.

- David
tuxedokman
Silver Member

Post by tuxedokman »

thunderbirdbat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:27 pm On the 2nd photo of the top of the casting, there are a couple of flat spots along the seam just to the right of the belt cutout. These flat spots remind me of the set screw on top of the SS when it was filled with putty and painted over. Is it possible that a set screw is hiding in one of them?
No more set screws hiding on the top, i scratched the paint off and everything.
tuxedokman
Silver Member

Post by tuxedokman »

DLB wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:02 pm I have one Mark headstock where the fit is so loose that the outer bearing race rotates while the machine is running. Because of that, I considered one of several Loctite products made specifically to bond bearing races. IF such a product was used then heat can aid in removal. Similarly, if it was an interference fit then heat may also help because the CTE of aluminum is higher than that of steel, so it normally expands more when hot. Plus if heat is applied carefully one can heat the casing more than the bearings and shaft. Use heat sparingly.

Excessive force risks cracking the headstock casting. BTDT. Having maybe learned my lesson, I'd try heat before too much hammering or hydraulics.

I don't see any pic that assures me that there isn't something retaining the inner bearing in the out direction. Though it doesn't seem logical for that something to exist, IIWM I'd check.

Just brainstorming some thoughts here. Zero experience with the Total Shop. This is a fairly loose fit on the SS, once the outer Spirolox retainer is removed the assembly comes right out. And I presume you could push it in the same way, just harder to get the Spirolox off from inside the headstock and I've never tried it.

- David
I will try a heat gun and some more hammering then.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you are going to try some hammering, I would highly recommend using a piece of wood between the hammer and the end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly. This is to avoid metal to metal contact which could cause some dents, dings or damage on the end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly.

To somewhat answer one of your earlier questions you may want to consider checking your local ads for a Shopsmith in good condition and at a reasonable price.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
tuxedokman
Silver Member

Post by tuxedokman »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:14 pm If you are going to try some hammering, I would highly recommend using a piece of wood between the hammer and the end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly. This is to avoid metal to metal contact which could cause some dents, dings or damage on the end of the Drive Sleeve Assembly.

To somewhat answer one of your earlier questions you may want to consider checking your local ads for a Shopsmith in good condition and at a reasonable price.

Would a shopsmith headstock fit on the total shop rails and work with the total shop attachments? Id rather go that way than get a new machine, i have most of the attachments for this machine.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't know what is interchangeable between a Total Shop and a Shopsmith. Maybe someone else here with experience on both can help.

I did suggest checking local ads for a Shopsmith which if you are patient, you may find one for about the same as just buying a Shopsmith Mark 5/V Headstock.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Measure the OD of the way tubes. They need to be 1 3/4" for the SS headstock. Need to verify c-c distance also.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tuxedokman
Silver Member

Post by tuxedokman »

DLB wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:02 pm I have one Mark headstock where the fit is so loose that the outer bearing race rotates while the machine is running. Because of that, I considered one of several Loctite products made specifically to bond bearing races. IF such a product was used then heat can aid in removal. Similarly, if it was an interference fit then heat may also help because the CTE of aluminum is higher than that of steel, so it normally expands more when hot. Plus if heat is applied carefully one can heat the casing more than the bearings and shaft. Use heat sparingly.

- David
Blasting it with the heat gun worked! I was able to move the assembly out enough to slip the belt on! Now i just have to finished cleaning and put it back together!

Thank you everyone who has been helping! Its been quite a trip! Will post an update when it get it back together just for a nice ending here.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Glad you were able to get it apart.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange