10ER Capacitor specs (are these correct?)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mtracz
Bronze Member

10ER Capacitor specs (are these correct?)

Post by mtracz »

All,

I just blew the start motor capacitor and am in need of a replacement. The one that popped had these specs:

130-156 mfd.
110-125 vac.
1 3/16 dia. x 2 3/4 long

It looked a lot newer than the machine and motor so I wonder if it was the correct part. The motor assemble would shake like crazy only in vertical mode and while I trying to diagnose the problem it popped.

I am having trouble finding specs. Anyone know if this was the correct capacitor. And while I'm at it where can I fine a new non-motor pulley?

Thanks
_Mike
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

mtracz wrote:All,

I just blew the start motor capacitor and am in need of a replacement. The one that popped had these specs:

130-156 mfd.
110-125 vac.
1 3/16 dia. x 2 3/4 long

It looked a lot newer than the machine and motor so I wonder if it was the correct part. The motor assemble would shake like crazy only in vertical mode and while I trying to diagnose the problem it popped.

I am having trouble finding specs. Anyone know if this was the correct capacitor. And while I'm at it where can I fine a new non-motor pulley?

Thanks
_Mike

Mike,
Take your motor to a good electric motor shop and I am sure they can fix you up with the correct capacitor. The motor pulley can often be found on ebay, but I think you can order it from McMaster/Carr as it is a standard 5/8" three step. Measure the one you have and take a look. I replaced the ½ hp motor on my 10ER with a 1.0 hp from Granger some years back. I moved the capacitor to the side like the A0 motor and as I recall it was a 1725 rpm 56 frame motor. The 1 hp handles the work better especially when using the speed changer. A lot of folks still use the 10ER so you should get some good advice.
ldh
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

mtracz wrote: I am having trouble finding specs. Anyone know if this was the correct capacitor. And while I'm at it where can I fine a new non-motor pulley?

Thanks
_Mike

Mike, Try visiting the 10erusers group on Yahoo. You should find answers to both of your questions.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The pulley on the motor is for a 5/8" shaft, the headstock drive pulley is 13/16". No idea of the capacitor but if you find out let us all know.

Ed

Edit to correct misinformation, see red
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

reible wrote:Hi,

The pulley on the motor is for a 1/2" shaft, the headstock drive pulley is 5/8". No idea of the capacitor but if you find out let us all know.

Ed
Ed,
The motor pulley on my 10ER is 5/8" bore and the upper drive pulley is 13/16" bore. I know the upper pulley is tricky to find some times, so I keep an extra set in my parts box just in case.
ldh
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The more I deal with these the more confused I get. I just today got a message from a guy who told me this is what I needed.... when I saw your message I went out and measured mine... you are most correct! Sorry I posted the wrong information! I'll correct my post so no one gets confused.

Ed
ldh wrote:Ed,
The motor pulley on my 10ER is 5/8" bore and the upper drive pulley is 13/16" bore. I know the upper pulley is tricky to find some times, so I keep an extra set in my parts box just in case.
ldh
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

The headstock pulley bore is a constant at 13/16", but the motor shafts varied. I have seen both 1/2" and 5/8". In fact, the 10ER jointer mounting kit's pulley had sleeves to adapt for either size motor shafts. Originally, the motor was extra on the Model 10's. You could get a 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com