10ER Speed Changer- warped...new sleeve?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GoodTroubleWorkshop
Bronze Member

10ER Speed Changer- warped...new sleeve?

Post by GoodTroubleWorkshop »

Hey Woodworkers!
First time post and I need some guidance.

While advancing my bowl turning skills, the nut from the speed changer kept falling off. I screwed it back on...ran the machine...and it would fall off again...so, looked...and touched it...it wiggled...took off the belts, unscrewed the set screws...slid it off...noticed the inside of the speed changer pulley was warped...the copper looking sleeve looked damaged (watch Youtube video please). So, is there a sleeve to replace it? or do I need a new speed changer?

I picked up this machine a few years ago...and have slowly built my shop up to begin turning bowls...love it...expect I am worried now I will destroy it if I keep running it without addressing this situation. I suspect I was turning bowls too fast...or it simply wore out.[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A8m07y1Q_gk[/youtube]
Poppa Steinie
Good Trouble Workshop
Creating manglitter since 2020!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 10ER Speed Changer- warped...new sleeve?

Post by JPG »

That has a bronze bushing bearing. Yours needs to be replaced - may need a press to do that. In any event do not breakit!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The sintered bronze bushings need to be replace. Hard to believe they are worn that bad.

They are not an off the shelf item.

There is an off the shelf item that can be machined to fit. The only two people that have supplied them that I know of are Hogwinslow and Skip Campbell. Hogwinslow used to have a web site but I can't find it now. The email I have for him is Hogwinslow@gmail.com. Skips web site does not currently list them but he used to sell them. His web site is mkctools.com. I would contact him.

Also, any good machine shop should be able to source the bushings and machine them to fit. However, cost might be an issue for you. What ever you do DO NOT through out the speed changer. Someone will want it including me.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

Here you go,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322384383062?m ... media=COPY

Bought a couple pairs in the past and they work great.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The link Darren provided above is the best source and one that John referenced. I have used hogwinslow1960's Speed Changer Oilite Bearings for replacements of worn ones and keep an extra set too just in case. The bearings come in pairs and replace both.

As John said DO NOT throw out your Speed Changer. This can be fixed and even if it could not, parts of it could still be used for replacements on other Speed Changers. There are only so many left and new OEM parts are not available.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
GoodTroubleWorkshop
Bronze Member

JPG wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:27 pm That has a bronze bushing bearing. Yours needs to be replaced - may need a press to do that. In any event do not breakit!!!
Guessing a welder friend might have access to a press that could help me?
Poppa Steinie
Good Trouble Workshop
GoodTroubleWorkshop
Bronze Member

DarrenDD wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:03 am Here you go,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322384383062?m ... media=COPY

Bought a couple pairs in the past and they work great.
Great! Ordered a couple now and eager to get back to turning! Thank you.
Poppa Steinie
Good Trouble Workshop
GoodTroubleWorkshop
Bronze Member

jsburger wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:59 pm The sintered bronze bushings need to be replace. Hard to believe they are worn that bad.

They are not an off the shelf item.

There is an off the shelf item that can be machined to fit. The only two people that have supplied them that I know of are Hogwinslow and Skip Campbell. Hogwinslow used to have a web site but I can't find it now. The email I have for him is Hogwinslow@gmail.com. Skips web site does not currently list them but he used to sell them. His web site is mkctools.com. I would contact him.

Also, any good machine shop should be able to source the bushings and machine them to fit. However, cost might be an issue for you. What ever you do DO NOT through out the speed changer. Someone will want it including me.
Thanks for sharing. I ordered two pairs from Hogwinslow. Previously, Skip has helped me with a tool rest replacement so I did I reach out to Skip last week and have not heard back from him.
Poppa Steinie
Good Trouble Workshop
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

GoodTroubleWorkshop wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:34 pm
JPG wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:27 pm That has a bronze bushing bearing. Yours needs to be replaced - may need a press to do that. In any event do not breakit!!!
Guessing a welder friend might have access to a press that could help me?
The ones I have replaced did not require a press. An appropriately sized dowel or socket and light taps works.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

jsburger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:44 pm The ones I have replaced did not require a press. An appropriately sized dowel or socket and light taps works.
…I had the same experience, twice.