Accessory shelf

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

clv
Bronze Member

Accessory shelf

Post by clv »

I have a model 510 that's been shorten by 15 inches, so it's a Shorty, sorta. I want to put an accessory shelf on her but they only sell accessory shelfs for the full size shopsmith so I thought I would just build one to fit. Does anybody know the depth of the standard accessory shelf? I know it's about 1 inch thick and long enough to fit a standard shopSmith.
Attachments
IMG_0736.jpeg
IMG_0736.jpeg (630.93 KiB) Viewed 624 times
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Accessory shelf

Post by garys »

I considered adding a shelf years ago, but decided that it would add a lot of weight to an already heavy tool. That would make the Shopsmith more work to move around the shop.
Instead of a shelf under the Shopsmith I decided to built a tool chest on wheels that stays out of the way when working. My chest looks like this.
shopsmall1.jpg
shopsmall1.jpg (109.45 KiB) Viewed 600 times
shopsmall2.jpg
shopsmall2.jpg (91.35 KiB) Viewed 600 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Mine is 7-1/2" wide. Finished thickness is 1-1/4". I got it used but believe it to be OEM.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:59 am I considered adding a shelf years ago, but decided that it would add a lot of weight to an already heavy tool. That would make the Shopsmith more work to move around the shop.
Instead of a shelf under the Shopsmith I decided to built a tool chest on wheels that stays out of the way when working. My chest looks like this.
shopsmall1.jpg
shopsmall2.jpg
REALLY NICE
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

clv,

I made my own Accessory Shelf for my Mark V 520 several years ago. I believe David's dimensions are correct for the OEM one. I thought it would be nice to have the accessories available close at hand. For me I was wrong. It now sits in the corner, unused. This may not be the case for you and even though I don't use the shelf it was a fun project to make. I mentioned I made it for my Mark V 520 and the reason I mention this is there are differences in the Accessory Shelf for the different Mark V models. Think Fences, Blade Guards, etc. As I said it was a fun project and I got to use several different Shopsmith functions. I used my Bandsaw to cut the angled ends where the shelf attaches to the Mark V legs to keep it flat. If you make those cuts at 90 degrees, your shelf will sit at an angle.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.