Need a shorter lathe tool rest

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nduanetesh
Gold Member

Need a shorter lathe tool rest

Post by nduanetesh »

Hi all. I've been doing a lot of pen turning lately and the 8" tool rest is just a tad too long to get close enough to the work. I thought I would look into the ShopSmith 4" lathe tool rest, but the website says it's out of stock and they have no idea when they might get more. There are none currently on ebay, and none I can find on Craigslist. It seems that the ShopSmith rests have a 3/4" post, and all of the aftermarket rests I can find are either 1" or 5/8".

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good shorter tool rest (4"-6") that fits a ShopSmith? Thank you!
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Need a shorter lathe tool rest

Post by DLB »

Lee Valley offers these modular rests that include a 3/4" post among the options along with your choice of 4", 6" , or 9" rest. I have something similar in function, but it is welded and way less modular, so I don't know how good these are. A metal shop can easily fab something like what I have, but would only be inexpensive if you have a connection.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... 0VrNnDe66o

- David
nduanetesh
Gold Member

Post by nduanetesh »

Thanks, DLB. I have to admit I was hoping to get something for significantly less than $70.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You should be able to find a regular tool rest on eBay for much less and cut it down to the size you want.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

There is also the modular rests by Best Wood Tools. Not sure how it compares in price once shipping is added.

https://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tmotoresy.html
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Rick Harrell on Penturners.org does custom steel tool posts and rests, to include for Shopsmith. I've bought some other custom work from him once and can verify that he does very nice work, is great at communicating, and in my case at least was very quick. Note that the posts and tool rests are separate items, but this allows you to swap out rests as bought/desired. Here's a link to his running post: https://www.penturners.org/threads/cust ... ies.92501/
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
nduanetesh
Gold Member

Post by nduanetesh »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!