Custom Shopsmith's

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Custom Shopsmith's

Post by robinson46176 »

I was just wondering what length way tubes most of your mini's / shorty's had. I believe my mini has about 25" or 26" way tubes. I am thinking about switching all of the tubes with a set about 3" or 4" longer for just a bit more room but still short.
Second question. Have any of you ever put 2 headstocks and two carriages on one machine? I was doing some measuring and if I lengthened the tubes about 4" I think it could be rather useful to me for some of the specialty stuff I do. Of course it would be used only in horizontal mode.
It crossed my mind to put one headstock and carriage on each way so that the quills each pointed out opposite directions.
I am already working on a drillpress project using parts of two SS's and a very short set of tubes that I think will serve my needs well. Think Dr. Doolittle and a two headed llama. :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
billmayo
Platinum Member

Custom Shopsmith's

Post by billmayo »

robinson46176 wrote:I was just wondering what length way tubes most of your mini's / shorty's had. I believe my mini has about 25" or 26" way tubes. I am thinking about switching all of the tubes with a set about 3" or 4" longer for just a bit more room but still short.
Second question. Have any of you ever put 2 headstocks and two carriages on one machine? I was doing some measuring and if I lengthened the tubes about 4" I think it could be rather useful to me for some of the specialty stuff I do. Of course it would be used only in horizontal mode.
It crossed my mind to put one headstock and carriage on each way so that the quills each pointed out opposite directions.
I am already working on a drillpress project using parts of two SS's and a very short set of tubes that I think will serve my needs well. Think Dr. Doolittle and a two headed llama. :D
The MINI Shopsmith does not have room for the carriage or main table and be used as a Power Station. I cut the bench tube in half at 26 3/8" and the way tube at 25 5/8". The bench tubes must be 3/4" longer than the way tubes for proper alignment in the base and headrest. Only need one bench and one way tube.

I build what I call a “Stretch Mini” which allows you to keep the carriage assembly with the main work table. This allows you to have a shorter version of the drill press and lathe functions. Excellent for making pens and pencils sets. Also you can still use the table saw. I cut the way tubes to 30” and the bench tubes to 30 ¾”. This is only 4" longer than the Mini and cuts 22” from the length of the Shopsmith.

I found that I needed to move up to a SHORTY when I wanted to mount a conical sanding disk along with a carriage and main work table to make a planer/joiner sharpening station. I cut the the way tubes to 34" and the bench tubes to 34 3/4". This cuts 18" from the length of the Shopsmith. This is my best seller.

I find the 3/4 HP motor and modified Gilmer Drive headstocks are all I need for these shorter Shopsmiths. Of course, this makes them cost less when selling them.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

billmayo wrote:The MINI Shopsmith does not have room for the carriage or main table and be used as a Power Station. I cut the bench tube in half at 26 3/8" and the way tube at 25 5/8". The bench tubes must be 3/4" longer than the way tubes for proper alignment in the base and headrest. Only need one bench and one way tube.

I build what I call a “Stretch Mini” which allows you to keep the carriage assembly with the main work table. This allows you to have a shorter version of the drill press and lathe functions. Excellent for making pens and pencils sets. Also you can still use the table saw. I cut the way tubes to 30” and the bench tubes to 30 ¾”. This is only 4" longer than the Mini and cuts 22” from the length of the Shopsmith.

I found that I needed to move up to a SHORTY when I wanted to mount a conical sanding disk along with a carriage and main work table to make a planer/joiner sharpening station. I cut the the way tubes to 34" and the bench tubes to 34 3/4". This cuts 18" from the length of the Shopsmith. This is my best seller.

I find the 3/4 HP motor and modified Gilmer Drive headstocks are all I need for these shorter Shopsmiths. Of course, this makes them cost less when selling them.
Bill, do you have anyone using a Mark V Mount Planer on machines shorter than standard full length? Just curious....
Chris
billmayo
Platinum Member

Custom Shopsmith's

Post by billmayo »

nuhobby wrote:Bill, do you have anyone using a Mark V Mount Planer on machines shorter than standard full length? Just curious....
I used a Shopsmith mounted Thickness Planer for some 12' X 2" X 12" wide oak boards a couple years ago. We were having difficulty with the Shopsmith 1 1/8 HP motor overheating before it would stop because the planer cutter head jammed. We resharpen the knives but still could only do a very minimum cut. I switched the planer to a stand with a 3 HP 220 VAC motor and the Planer Pulley Retro-Kit which increased the cutter head speed. Then we were able to finish our task with no more problems. I believe this was a worst case planer job that anyone would encounter.

Therefore, I never investigated making a shorter Shopsmith for the planer use as my Shopsmith Thickness Planer had its own cutter head motor now. I doubt if much could be cut from the tubes and keep the carriage as I seem to remember having very little wiggle room once the planer was mounted.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)