1 1/4 Saw Arbor Repair

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wholeshoe
Gold Member

1 1/4 Saw Arbor Repair

Post by wholeshoe »

All

My new used shopsmith came with a all purpose blade and a 1 1/4 saw arbor.

Upon inspection of the arbor somone gauled it up and had for some reason tried to drill out the set screw and buggered the hole and threads all up.

Well tonight I finished drilling out and removing the set screw and then drilled the hole oversize to clean things up.

Does anybody see a safety reason with tapping the oversized hole and useing a bigger set screw to make the arbor useable again?

I have to purchase a tap and set screw but it should save the arbor from the trash can.

Wholeshoe
billmayo
Platinum Member

1 1/4 Saw Arbor Repair

Post by billmayo »

wholeshoe wrote:All

My new used shopsmith came with a all purpose blade and a 1 1/4 saw arbor.

Upon inspection of the arbor somone gauled it up and had for some reason tried to drill out the set screw and buggered the hole and threads all up.

Well tonight I finished drilling out and removing the set screw and then drilled the hole oversize to clean things up.

Does anybody see a safety reason with tapping the oversized hole and useing a bigger set screw to make the arbor useable again?

I have to purchase a tap and set screw but it should save the arbor from the trash can.

Wholeshoe
The set screw in the arbor should be a Shopsmith item as it is softer than a normal set screw. A normal set screw (harder) will damage the quill shaft over time. I believe a tap and set screw will cost more than another used 1 1/4" saw arbor that are quite available. I trash any used arbors that shows any signs of damage just to be safe.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
wholeshoe
Gold Member

Post by wholeshoe »

Point well taken Bill.

I agree on the hardness and thats why I asked. I was looking for things I hadn't considered.

I have a brand new 5/8 arbor from Shopsmith coming in the mail so I am not out anything but time.

Art
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

billmayo wrote:The set screw in the arbor should be a Shopsmith item as it is softer than a normal set screw. A normal set screw (harder) will damage the quill shaft over time. I believe a tap and set screw will cost more than another used 1 1/4" saw arbor that are quite available. I trash any used arbors that shows any signs of damage just to be safe.
Bill...
Thanks good to know. I've replaced several SS set screws with after market stainless. I guess I'll be switching back.

Art...
You could drill and tape a new hole 180 degrees from the original. I can't imagine that it would alter the strength of the shaft itself.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
wholeshoe
Gold Member

Post by wholeshoe »

Great Point!!!

I think I might try that tonight.

I will report the outcome.

You guys are great!

Art
wholeshoe
Gold Member

!

Post by wholeshoe »

I drilled it out at 180 degrees and tapped it and used the original set screw and it works great.

Thanks for the idea!

Art