ShopSmith T-Nuts

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

ShopSmith T-Nuts

Post by tfrayne »

I did a forum search for ways to use T-Nuts but did not find anything.

The T-Nuts that I had ordered last week arrived this evening, and I was eager to try them out. The first thing I wanted was use a set on main table miter slot to hold a pair of Incra clamps. I had replaced the 1/4-20 bolt that came with the clamp for a toilet bowl bolt with the same thread.

I was dismayed to learn that there wasn't enough clearance under the T-Nut to allow it to enter the miter slot (or the slots on the fence) with that bolt head sticking out.

Since I had ordered 8 of them, I figured I could sacrifice two of them to see if I could get it to work. I drilled out recesses in the bottom of two of them to allow the toilet bowl nut to sit recessed in the T-Nut.

This will allow me to use the clamps on the table to secure a workpiece while horizontal boring. This and a new set of brad point bits should increase my accuracy.

Has anyone out there done something like this, or is there a much easier way which I overlooked.
Attachments
T Nut 1.jpg
T Nut 1.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
T Nut 2.jpg
T Nut 2.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
T Nut 3.jpg
T Nut 3.jpg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
T Nut 4.jpg
T Nut 4.jpg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
cooch366
Gold Member

Re: ShopSmith T-Nuts

Post by cooch366 »

Possibly Loctite a piece of threaded rod into the T-nut?
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I use a piece of threaded rod in the T-nut, with a jam nut on top of the T-nut to lock it in place. I use the Inca clamps as well, and the jam nut doesn’t interfere with them. But I use the smaller 1/4”-20 holes for this, so I’m not sure if a jam nut above the larger center hole would restrict the clamp position.
SASman
Silver Member

Post by SASman »

I would highly recommend you check out the My Growth Rings Youtube videos. Scott Markwood has some great ideas for using the T-nuts with jigs.
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

SASman - Haha, that's how I heard of them!

I've had my Mk V for a little over a year now, but haven't done much with it yet. Its a (I believe) 1998 510 that had been upgraded to a 520. Came with the jointer and a bandsaw, as well as a crate of boxes containing all sorts of things. Not a bad deal for $500.

Last year I was preoccupied with another project, and now I am trying to gain confidence with it. There are a few things I still need to get, such as Power Tool Woodworking. So far I have only a set of VCR cassettes that came with it (no VCR) and an owners manual I ordered from SS.

YouTube had been my friend. Scott"s MGR videos and this forum have been very helpful. There are a few fixtures I've seen Scott show that I plan to build. As soon as I finish my wife's chicken coop project.

My goal is to use the SS more in my woodworking. Currently I have a Dewalt job site saw that I built into an 8' long outfeed/assembly table. I want to use the Mk V table saw more, but all my jigs and fixtures are for the Dewalt.

The rip fence on the Mk V is soooo much better than the Dewalt. I want to take advantage of that. Maybe limit the Dewalt to long rip cuts, and use the Mk V for all my crosscuts.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

BuckeyeDennis -

I tried this today with another T-Nut. Should work out. I had figured the 1/4-20 threaded rod (in my case the toilet bolt) needed to "float" but I guess I was wrong on that.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!