Old school Mark VII interchangeability with Mark V ?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mike
Gold Member

Old school Mark VII interchangeability with Mark V ?

Post by Mike »

Slowly working my way back into shop and sorting out/downsizing. Going to keep Mark VII, Mark V Shorty and 10ER for sure.
Want to make the Mark VII as user friendly as possible. So asking the experts here if the parts shown in pic will fit the Mark VII?
I have mine torn apart right now but measured distance between center of tubes best I could and they appear to be same. Looks like it could work.
3545599E-997B-41E4-9BB1-8BDADBC003F4.jpeg
3545599E-997B-41E4-9BB1-8BDADBC003F4.jpeg (340.44 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Thank you for any and all comments.
I may be old but I’m slow
https://www.schmuckatellico.com/
https://scshiftknob.com
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Old school Mark VII interchangeability with Mark V ?

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike,

I am not an expert on the old Mark VII but I do know parts from the Mark V are interchangeable. As I understand it the Way Tubes have the same spacing and a Mark V Headstock will fit on a Mark VII frame. The picture you show is the Main Table and Carriage for the Mark V 510/505. As a complete assembly it should work fine on a Mark VII but you will have to remove the adjustment racks from the Way Tube. I don't know if there would be any problem using the Saw Blade Guard set of the Mark V 510/505 & 520 on the Mark VII.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Mike
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Thanks Russ! That's what I was thinking as well but wanted to run it by experts like yourself before I committed to it.
I may be old but I’m slow
https://www.schmuckatellico.com/
https://scshiftknob.com
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

The 510 table system should work but you will lose the the double tilt of the MKVII table.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

I've thought about replacing my MKVII one handed table lift/lock with the MKV 2 handed rod /wingnut lock system. It's more user friendly and accurate than the MKVII. It looks doable but I haven't investigated any further.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Delta 12" planer
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

lahola1,

You said,
I've thought about replacing my MKVII one handed table lift/lock with the MKV 2 handed rod /wingnut lock system. It's more user friendly and accurate than the MKVII. It looks doable but I haven't investigated any further.
The Mark V Table and Carriage can switch with the Mark VII Table/Carriage since the Mark V has the same Way Tube spacing as the Mark VII. You would have to remove the adjustment racks from the Way Tube.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

+1 all that has been said except the comment re the table lock. I use one hand with the M5 and consider the MVII to be as accurate with two hands.

??
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

JPG wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:09 am +1 all that has been said except the comment re the table lock. I use one hand with the M5 and consider the MVII to be as accurate with two hands.

??
JPG,
I don't know how you can adjust and lock a MKV table with one hand with its lever/wingnut lock system.

You have the later version MKVII; I have the earlier version MKVII. Maybe the later knob/wingnut lock is more user friendly. When I crank my table with crank/lock to proper height, I swing the crank/lock around to lock the table, the table usually drops before I can lock it.
Delta 12" planer
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hold lever position with small finger, tighten wing nut with thumb. Initially just tight enough to stay in position then tighten more securely. M5/MV only(not MVII). Also works with MV wheel.(small finger positioning wheel handle)

Not possible at all rotational positions of the handles*.

May work with MVII??(not enough experience).

*Wheel spoke possibly held with small finger.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange