Speed Increaser run in reverse?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SSSteve24
Silver Member

Speed Increaser run in reverse?

Post by SSSteve24 »

I recently upgraded to a PowerPro headstock and was using it with my speed increaser the other day. I know not to exceed 4700 RPM when doing this, but what about running it at 4700 RPM with the headstock in reverse? Anyone know if this could damage the speed increaser? I'd just be guessing unless I take it apart to see how it's constructed. Opinions anyone?
Mark V upgraded to Mk 7, all special purpose tools, power station, standalone pro planer, DC3300
Matanuska
Gold Member

Re: Speed Increaser run in reverse?

Post by Matanuska »

Just curious - why would you want to use the speed increaser with the PowerPro?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
SSSteve24
Silver Member

Post by SSSteve24 »

Not set up to flip the table around to allow the headstock to drive directly from under the table.
Mark V upgraded to Mk 7, all special purpose tools, power station, standalone pro planer, DC3300
SSSteve24
Silver Member

Post by SSSteve24 »

Works very nicely, by the way. Very quiet.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Hadn’t thought of that - nice option for PowerPro upgrades without the dual tilt option. And why reverse?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
SSSteve24
Silver Member

Post by SSSteve24 »

Was thinking of the ability to run a shaper cutter upside down if desired. Might be a valuable capability if it's possible to do it without damage.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Speed Increaser was designed to work on the Mark 5/V (all models) and the Mark VII from the 1960's. It has a friction drive not gear driven. I cannot find any reference to the contrary in the instructions about running it in reverse. The Mark VII had reverse but there is no mention of running it in reverse with the Speed Increaser. Sorry not much of an answer for yes or no.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
SSSteve24
Silver Member

Post by SSSteve24 »

No problem on "not much of an answer", and thanks for the info on the old Mark VII. My inclination is to just try it at a very slow speed, see if there's any bad noise or vibration, and then SLOWLY speed it up a little at a time, making sure it stays smooth and quiet and doesn't get hot. Any thoughts on that?