Wood mag. Cyclone

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ronr
Bronze Member

Wood mag. Cyclone

Post by ronr »

I have built a wood cyclone for our seniors WW shop. The discharge pipe starts at the transition point with the cylinder/ cone. This conflicts with the Pentz design where the outlet pipe starts higher. Anyone have any comment on this as mod's would be easier before we install it !!
Thanks. Ron.
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

Hmmmmm......"Best Basement Workshop Ever" issue from 1997....Idea Shop 2....I'll take a look at it, right now it's upstairs in the "reading" room.

On the post published improvement list, did you extend the input pipe into the cyclone instead of making it flush? This is supposed to increase effiency(sp?).
On the reader's improvement list:

* Placing a narrow acrylic or other clear rigid plastic window in the garbage can so you can see how full it's getting. That way you can empty it before it fills up.
* Hook a water level to the exhaust filter. Mark it off and on when it's clean. After you've used it for a while, make a "Clean" mark. That way you'll always know when to clean it.
ronr
Bronze Member

cyclone

Post by ronr »

etc92
The outlet pipe extends in 20" same as the main body length per the plan. This is my concern. The Pentz configuration shows them short of the transition point. I am going to run 6" dia. all the way to the DC.
Ron.
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

Well, this is a needed distraction considering I shredded my gilmer belt today. I suspect dry rot.

Anyways, if your going according to the Wood plan, your running a 1.5 hp blower, and a 18 inch diameter cyclone, and a 20 inch outlet pipe.

Pentz sez for a 1.5 hp blower (but you should use a 3 hp) use a 22 inch diameter cyclone, and a 16.78 inch outlet pipe.

I'm guessing that because the Wood diameter is 4 inches less the longer outlet pipe is needed to compensate. But I'm not a engineer in this. This is just a difference I see in the two designs.

Are you using the Nov. 1997 plan from the magazine or did you purchase a later plan? The reason I ask is that the inlet to the cyclone was redesigned to boost efficiency.

There is a dust collection forum run by Wood mag. and this unit with the after published mods has been well received.

I'm curious, why did you go with the Wood plan vs. the Peltz?
ronr
Bronze Member

etc92

Post by ronr »

Anyways, if your going according to the Wood plan, your running a 1.5 hp blower, and a 18 inch diameter cyclone, and a 20 inch outlet pipe.

Pentz sez for a 1.5 hp blower (but you should use a 3 hp) use a 22 inch diameter cyclone, and a 16.78 inch outlet pipe.

I'm guessing that because the Wood diameter is 4 inches less the longer outlet pipe is needed to compensate. But I'm not a engineer in this. This is just a difference I see in the two designs.

Are you using the Nov. 1997 plan from the magazine or did you purchase a later plan? The reason I ask is that the inlet to the cyclone was redesigned to boost efficiency.

I'm curious, why did you go with the Wood plan vs. the Peltz?[/QUOTE]

Hi. We had the old magazine & one of the guys had built one years ago & had the plans. I would have enlarged it if I had known about the horsepower to diameter relationship. I did extend the inlet to the centerline of the cylinder. Is this the mod they made?
I found out a lot on the net after the fact! We will be using it with a 1200CFM 2HP Canwood unit. We are going to use this unit for the table saw & small tools on an adjacent bench. We are buying a 1900cfm 3HP King as well for the rest of the tools & will build a cyclone for it as well except that it will have an 8" outlet.
Thanks. Ron.
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

That's the mod. They call it a neutral vane. Supposed to boost the efficiency by a third....so your in good shape there. As for the outlet tube, I'd say try it as is for now. It seems the length has to do with the function of dropping the fine dust into the cone. If the cartridge is filling up too often to suit you, you can always drop the cone and go in with a tin snips and cut off the 3.75 inches. Looking at the plan it looks fairly accessible.

One of your guys has practical experience with the unit. What does he say?
ronr
Bronze Member

cyclone

Post by ronr »

He said it worked great. We will not have filters to deal with. The dust collectors will do that. The 1900 cfm unit is 4 bag! What I am now challenged with is building a collection box to mount below the cyclone to dump the refuse directly into a bag. With the ducting to the cyclone there should be no air lock like when you try upend a bucket into a bag & spew fines all over !
Thanks for the help. Ron.
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

Anytime.................post some pictures when you get it done.