Shopsmith under-machine tool boxes

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

EdLivesay
Bronze Member

Shopsmith under-machine tool boxes

Post by EdLivesay »

Hey, guys... am I the only one who liked the red (Shopsmith red of course) tool boxes that were once shortly sold to go under the machine. About the time that I finally decided to push the button and purchase a set, they stopped selling them. I ended up modifying some red Craftsman boxes and put short coasters on their bottoms and they worked out quite well..... I'm guessing that lack of sales was their demise.

[img]C:\Users\edliv\Desktop\Shopsmith tool boxes.jpg[/img]
Last edited by EdLivesay on Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith under-machine tool boxes

Post by edma194 »

Others have asked about this. They might have interested me back in the days when I could still reach the floor. Now days I don't like to reach out of the strike zone.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You using slip on shoes????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:24 pm You using slip on shoes????
I'll never go back to old fashioned shoes.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

JPG wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:24 pm You using slip on shoes????
What is the problem with slip on shoes? I can see issues depending on the type of slip on shoes, but there are some very good safety shoes that are slip on. IIRC, over twenty years ago on the repair ships I was stationed on, the foundry workers were required to have slip on safety shoes and if memory serves, my dad had slip on safety shoes when he worked in the foundry at John Deere in the late 60's early 70's.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Sabotier
Bronze Member

Post by Sabotier »

I actually built my own under-mount tool station - stole an idea from my older brother, and added drawers to it. I had to grind the top corners of the plywood so the thing would fit under my Mark V 500, but once I had it bolted in place, it has proven EXTREMELY useful. I'm attaching the PDF of the CAD drawing I prepared back then (in 2005) in case anyone else wants to try building one.
ShopSmith_ShelfDrawer.pdf
(39.09 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
The horizontal slots are for storing saw blades, with the arbors on them.
The drawers hold all sorts of stuff - sanding drums, band saw blades, paste wax, extra saw arbors, big gum eraser for unclogging sanding disks . . . you get the idea.