Magnet on a stick

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

Magnet on a stick

Post by STB »

Some time back my wife asked me to replace the needle on her sewing machine. After making excuses and procrastinating as long as I could my wife explained how it would be in my best interest to fix the sewing machine. So I promptly dropped the needle on the floor. My wife saw me struggling to bend over and pick it up and said "Oh I use a magnet". A light went on.

Now the shop project.

Several years ago I disassembled a curb found chair and saved some of the pieces because you never know. Also the other day I needed four magnets for a music box project but they only were sold in a pack of ten. Thus the idea for magnets on a stick.

P1.jpg
P1.jpg (258.07 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (335.24 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
P3.jpg
P3.jpg (165.74 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Magnet on a stick

Post by garys »

You did such a nice job. That is just about museum quality.
I cheaped out making my magnet on a stick. I had a 3/8" by 3/4" stick of oak in my waste bin. I cut it to around 20" and attached a strong magnet from an old computer hard drive using a screw. It looks like crap but it works.
Your nice job makes mine look like junk.
twistsol
Gold Member

Re: Magnet on a stick

Post by twistsol »

When my girls grew up and were no longer fascinated by magnets, I liberated this from the toy room and keep it in the shop for the same purpose. It's about 14" long but will retrieve the arbor nut from the bottom of my tablesaw.

I like yours much better and think I'll probably plagiarize your idea. Nice work.
IMG_3061.jpeg
IMG_3061.jpeg (365.29 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER