Question why do you want to know the RPM of your Headstock

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Question why do you want to know the RPM of your Headstock

Post by Ed in Tampa »

There have been many questions and comments about Headstock RPM. Why?
I have owned my SS for 40 years and I never have known or cared to know the actual RPM of my headstock. In fact I own many variable speed tools and on none of them is the actual RPM displayed or known to me and and it has never caused me any concern. So I wonder why so many on the forum over the years are concerned about the actual RPM of their headstock.

I turn on my SS on and turn the dial to speed setting that is closest to the function I am using and then fine tune the speed depending on various factors such as the sound of the machine, any burning of the wood, bogging down, chip out, etc. Mostly the sound of the operation seems to be the most important determining factor.

I have cut through 6 inch thick hardwoods, plastic, metals, turned many objects, routed all kinds of things, shaped, planed, mounded, drilled, sanded and flattened and I never once needed to know the exact RPM. In fact it never entered my mind. So what am I missing?
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Question why do you want to know the RPM of your Headstock

Post by garys »

To me, it isn't important to know RPM, but for some people, they really want to know those numbers. I figure that for me, if it does the job well, actual RPM isn't important.
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Because if dial speed does not confirm actual speed, tool may be malfunctioning and may need adjustment or repair.

Because if actual speed range does not match advertised speed range, tool may be malfunctioning and may need adjustment or repair.

Because understanding how the tool is actually performing is a component of safe operation.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I like to see that the actual RPMs are close to corresponding with the speed dial. I don't recall ever taking a conventional headstock up to maximum speed, minimum speed will be whatever it is and I have a speed reducer if I need it even slower, and I also have 2 PowerPros for even slower speeds. I checked them both for approximate speed which matched the displayed RPMs in both cases, more out of curiosity than anything else because it would be a serious problem if the display was not correct.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I bought a tach primarily to strengthen my position/opinion in this lengthy thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?t=29903 So not specifically for any woodworking operation. But after getting the tach, I found that I could use it to set the speed dial and get much closer to published expectations than using the 'high speed adjustment.'

The OP in that thread expressed that he had used a tach and found his low speed settings to be off somewhat from nominal. Others confirmed those results, though my machine did not. Then followed a lengthy discussion on what the machine is actually capable of. Outside of that thread I don't recall many discussions of this.

- David
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Having started with powerPro, I came in not knowing any speed settings needed for each SPT.
The sticker label listing the recommended RPMs was great back then when I hadnt internalized the values.
The reported RPM on the LCD display in agreement with the label confirmed for me I had setup correctly and the tool was operated properly.

b
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have no issue with any one wanting to know the exact speed to set the dial but the tool / blades and or bits will let you know its boundaries and limits pretty quick . if the tools / blades and bits are not sharp the speed setting is out the window when it comes to quality . jmo
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:51 am I have no issue with any one wanting to know the exact speed to set the dial but the tool / blades and or bits will let you know its boundaries and limits pretty quick . if the tools / blades and bits are not sharp the speed setting is out the window when it comes to quality . jmo
Even with sharp blades, if the speed is not appropriate for a particular operation the quality of the cut will be effected.

Ed in Tampa says he doesn't care. So be it. I care. That does not mean I tach every setting. I test my machine rpm periodically (against the dial setting) and I trust the speed control after doing so.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I would agree with both Ed in Tampa and Gary here. Honestly it doesn't matter either way, but just personal opinion. Having the actual RPM can be a useful piece of information, e.g. if the machine is not operating to specifications. It is just an assurance though (assuming you know what the actual RPM should be for a particular function) that you are in the right operating range for performance, but also for safety. Instead, I prefer to rely on my senses more for any operation and instinct, similar to what Ed described above. I listen to the sound of everything (blade speed, any noises/rattles, pitch, etc.). I also rely on tactile sensation throughout the cut and also on my eyes. Occasionally, I use my nose, e.g. if the stock is burning you will smell it. The more you can use all of your sense,s for anything in life, the better. As an example, when I am cooking in the kitchen, I rely on my nose, eyes, ears, touch (tactile) and lastly taste. IF you aren't listening to the sound of oil or whatever is cooking in a pan, then IMHO you aren't really cooking. Otherwise you will need to stare at one pan all the time and can't multitask in the kitchen - also will still likely burn something. We are sensory creatures and the more attuned you are to your environment, the more you will perceive in this world. JMO.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

dusty wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:18 am Even with sharp blades, if the speed is not appropriate for a particular operation the quality of the cut will be effected.

I test my machine rpm periodically (against the dial setting) and I trust the speed control after doing so.
This is my approach also. I can tell that a blade is becoming dull when it doesn't cut as well at a known speed. I don't do it often enough but it's a good idea to record the speeds that work well for particular material.

I don't use my machines just for wood, I work with metal and plastics where ideal tool speeds can be calculated more precisely and consistently than for wood. They don't have to be exceedingly precise for my needs, but I want a speed dial to produce close to the expected speed and I really like the PowerPro setting to specific speeds and display of actual speed.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER