shop built crosscut sled for ShopSmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: shop built crosscut sled for ShopSmith

Post by jsburger »

That is really coming together and looks great.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

The sled is just about finished. I got it dialed in using the 5 cut method and I am happy with it.

The last thing I want to do is to dye the handguard portion a bright color such as red or orange. I made two shallow cuts into the handguard. When making a cut, my hands will be on either side of the rear fence and covering those two shallow cuts. From there, I can make my cut and know by feel that my hands will be clear of the blade.

It slides smoothly, and should serve me well. If I was to do this again, I would make the fence taller. I am limited to 1 5/8" on blade height.
Attachments
crosscut sled 8.jpg
crosscut sled 8.jpg (82.42 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
crosscut sled 9.jpg
crosscut sled 9.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
crosscut sled 10.jpg
crosscut sled 10.jpg (76.34 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
crosscut sled 11.jpg
crosscut sled 11.jpg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Very nice!!!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Too pretty! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

its a beauty!
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Impressive. I really like what you have done with the sled. It is a bit too big for what I do in the shop now that I quit doing the larger projects but impressive none-the-less. Like you shop area too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

That's not a sled, it's art! Nice job!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Looks really nice. How thick is the base and are you concerned that it will limit your cut depth when using the sled?

b
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

The base is 3/4" phenolic. I am not concerned with IT limiting the depth of cut, but I think I made the rear fence too shallow. Along with the T Track for the stop block, I have a limit of 1 5/8". Otherwise I will cut into the T Track.

I am very fortunate with the shop area. It is an outbuilding, about 50 yards from the house. I had always wanted to get into woodworking but had neither the time, space, money, tools or knowledge. That changed when I retired and we moved into this place 8 years ago.

Being 50 yards from the house, my wife had no interest in using any of it. We have a large carport for parking, and a large shed for storage. So this became my woodworking shop. I've tried to build most everything in it. I think I do more shop projects than projects. Hahaha.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The latest "shop project" is a beaut.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange