Shopsmith evolution time line?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

steverboss
Gold Member

Shopsmith evolution time line?

Post by steverboss »

Is there a Shopsmith timeline out there that shows the evolution of the Shopsmith from start through today. It would show what year each model was introduced, the year that changes / improvements were made, etc. If not, maybe we could start one and have our most knowledgeable members send their info and I could start compiling the info kinda like Wikipedia for Shopsmith. Any info would be much appreciated.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith evolution time line?

Post by DLB »

As a starting point, the current company has this, limited to Mark 5/V/7: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm Russ Chapman also started some 'What, When, and Where' threads on the forum that capture much of the historical perspective.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As David pointed out I started a thread titled Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where which can be found at the link below. I also did one for the Model 10's and one for the SPT's.

viewtopic.php?t=24963

If you look on the first page, I did an edited/corrected history of the one shown here on the Shopsmith.com website at the link David provided. On the second page there is a listing of many of the major changes made to the Mark 5/V over the years. There have been so many changes and some are not listed. It would be difficult to list all the changes made to the Mark 5/V over the years. As an example, I am not sure when the screws changed that attach the Bench ends to the legs but it affected the Base and Headrest as they no longer have countersunk holes. Even now there are changes being made to the Mark V. Have you noticed the catalog showing the Mark V 520s and that it appears to have the Double Tilt Bench Ends like the Mark 7? The new Mark 4 appears to have them also. I believe Shopsmith is phasing out the conventional Base and Headrest Bench Ends just as they have done with the original/500 and the 510/505 table system parts.

As you read through the entire thread other changes/differences are discussed.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
campstuff
Bronze Member

Post by campstuff »

Maybe you can tell me how old my Shopsmith is. Model ER, Serial # 28531.

Thanks!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

campstuff,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

In my post above I referenced the thread titled Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where. My first thread in this series was titled Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where. It can be found at the link below. Because there are limited records it is difficult to tell when a certain Model 10 was made. If yours says Model ER to the left of the serial number on the Logo/Serial Number Plate, it is actually a Model 10ER. The serial number 28531 should have a letter prefix and in your case should be ER. If it has a prefix of R it should say Model 10E to the left of the serial number. Serial number R28531 was made before serial number ER28531. The thread Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where linked below explains these prefixes and what they mean. There is a lot of other information about the Model 10's you may find both useful and interesting.

viewtopic.php?t=23647
As mentioned in my previous post I also did a similar thread for the SPT's (Single or Special Purpose Tools) titled SPT's What When and Where which can be found at the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=26072
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.