Model ER, Serial # 28531

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

campstuff
Bronze Member

Model ER, Serial # 28531

Post by campstuff »

Wondering if anyone has an owners manual, or basic information about the Model ER. I'm wondering how old it might be and some tips on restoration. Thanks!
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Model ER, Serial # 28531

Post by edma194 »

This thread is a good starting place: Everything E / ER - Technical info, documentation, links
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The link Ed provided will be a good start for information on restoring your Model 10ER.

As I said in the Shopsmith Evolution Time Line thread it is difficult to tell when a particular tool was made. When it was made varies on whether it has an "R" or "ER" prefix. Serial number R28531 was made in the Western Plant before ER28531 which was made in the Eastern Plant.

A PDF copy of the Owner's Guide can be found under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first four topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there while others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. The link below will take you to the thread Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More when there click on the link to “My Google Drive” and under 10E & 10ER you will find a copy of the Magna 10ER Restored Owner's Guide.

viewtopic.php?t=16113

Although this will not be the exact Owner's Guide that would have come with your Model 10ER the operation will be the same just some of the parts shown in the drawings and parts list will be different. From the time the first Model 10E was put into production until the Model 10ER was discontinued in 1953 there were over a dozen different Owner's Guides (Manuals) produced. Mostly the differences are for changes in parts made to the Model 10's throughout their production. The biggest change in the operation was going from the original wood Extension Table of the 10E to the metal Extension Table. On Everett's Google Drive there is a Model 10E Owner's Guide which I recommend for those owners of Model 10's that have the Wood Extension Table.

As you work on restoring your Model 10ER ask any questions that come up here and we will be happy to help you.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
campstuff
Bronze Member

Post by campstuff »

Thanks for your responses and good information!