Needs parts to raise and lower table saw deck

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigVin34
Bronze Member

Needs parts to raise and lower table saw deck

Post by BigVin34 »

Does anyone know where I can get parts 166-169 on this parts diagram. It goes to the assembly that raises and lowers the height of the table saw deck. My kids were playing in the garage and now all of a sudden I can’t lock the height of my table deck. Any help is appreciated. It seems some of these parts aren’t made anymore.
Attachments
IMG_1895.jpeg
IMG_1895.jpeg (77.3 KiB) Viewed 740 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Needs parts to raise and lower table saw deck

Post by edma194 »

Why do you want new parts? Are the old ones missing? You can get used carriages on eBay for under $30. It is easy to loosen the handle so that the parts don't engage properly. If you're not missing parts just make sure the parts are assembled as shown in the diagram above.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
BigVin34
Bronze Member

Post by BigVin34 »

Those parts are now missing. The kids were playing in the garage and now no one knows what happened to them.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Only 166, the pinion lock is unavailable according to the website. The handle, 167, I think is the same as quill lever on the headstock, part 513017. 168 and 169 are also available according to the website. If those parts are back ordered you might not ever get them even if you order so a used carriage on eBay is your best bet. I have a carriage missing the entire height adjust shaft 165 and all the other parts on it so I'm not likely to find an extra one of those parts.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

BigVin34,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

Ed touched on this in his second post but here is what has happened to parts from the manufacturer/Shopsmith. The Mark 5 aka Mark V 500 with the original table system has been discontinued. Parts for that table system which includes the carriage are no longer being made. Shopsmith only sells replacement parts for that carriage that are still in stock. Once they are gone (out of stock) you have to find parts on the used market. It may be easier to find a complete used carriage than the individual parts you need and possibly cheaper.

Ed said
The handle, 167, I think is the same as quill lever on the headstock, part 513017.
The Quill Handle is longer than the Carriage Handle and I don't know if the extra length using the Quill Handle would interfere.

All other Shopsmith Mark V models use a different table system and that includes a different carriage.

As Mark V owners upgrade their table system to the newer models their old Mark V 500 table system becomes excess parts and many look to sell them to recover a small amount of what they paid for the upgrade or to simply clear out their shop.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Thu May 11, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Just for information, some members have replaced the 500 (and prior) 'crank' parts with the 510 and on version. All of which is likely available. See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3302 for more detail.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Russ and/or David,

Since the carriage can be modified to use a 510 crank, do you know if part #514211, the carriage pinion for 505+ carriages is the same as the missing part 166 above? That would make every part available in some form... maybe. The handle I mentioned may be a little long but should still be adjustable to work in some position. I can look at those pinion parts later to see if they match.
Ed from Rhode Island

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:33 pm Since the carriage can be modified to use a 510 crank, do you know if part #514211, the carriage pinion for 505+ carriages is the same as the missing part 166 above? That would make every part available in some form... maybe. The handle I mentioned may be a little long but should still be adjustable to work in some position. I can look at those pinion parts later to see if they match.
No. IIUC Index 170 on the 510 and on is the actual pinion, so that would equate with 163 on pre-510. Which also appears to be unobtanium but is not missing, per the OP's description. There is no direct equivalent to 166 IMO, but IIRC it is not required if modifying to the 510 crank. I tried this mod once just to see, but I don't recall the details and my Greenie carriage is not at hand.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you look at the old thread David provided the link to on changing the original/500 carriage to the 510/505, 520 Mark 7 & 4 carriage wheel. The thread shows some great pictures from JPG and jjbuzard on how they did their modifications and the original carriage parts. On either carriage the Table Height Lock Handle turns to put pressure on the pinions to lock the table in place. Besides the gear teeth to raise and lower the table they are a wedge to lock the table post in place. In JPG's second picture he shows part reference number 168 from the original carriage parts only to show the width of the spacer needed. It is not in JPG's final upgraded assembly.

As David already said part number 514211 is not the same as the OP's missing part reference number 166. 514211 (reference number 170) is the pinion for the later Carriage while part number 501392 (reference number 163) is the pinion for the original carriage and they are different.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIRC a 3/8" square drive socket will suffice for the spacer(jj buzard idea).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange