Moving shopsmith with possibility of rain

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wildcard
Gold Member

Moving shopsmith with possibility of rain

Post by wildcard »

Mine is lubed and waxed, so I don't worry about rain damaging the way tunes or anything that doesn't have electricity flowing at some point in its life. How would you protect the head of the machine if you had to move it, in a open top trailer, with a 50% chance of rain?

I was thinking cover it with a couple of trash bags and tape and elastic tie downs to secure the bag, it's a older model before the powerhead
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Moving shopsmith with possibility of rain

Post by br549 »

Slide the headstock off of the way tubes and put it inside your vehicle. Then you don't have to worry about the bags leaking, blowing off or open, etc.
wildcard
Gold Member

Post by wildcard »

That is a fantastic idea, I have never removed it so hadn't even considered it. Thanks
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

First of all, around here, 50% chance of rain means 98% chance it won't rain at all. But supposing they actually get a forecast right, either tarp it well, or remove the headstock like suggested.
Yesterday we had 90% chance of rain here with 1-2" of rain. It didn't rain all day. Today and tonight it is 90% again and likely won't rain at all. Tuesday there was no chance of rain in our forecast, and we got 0.6" and about a half inch of hail.
So, unless your weather monkeys there are better than here, it likely won't rain if they predict rain.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The headstock and way tubes will fit inside most vehicles. It will fit across the back seat of rather small cars, you won't even have to remove the base castings for most cars. Removing the headstock from the way tubes is not a huge issue, but it's rather easier to manage if you don't have to do that. Even in a pickup truck or trailer you should and let the machine sit on the base castings so it won't tip over.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

garys wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:28 am First of all, around here, 50% chance of rain means 98% chance it won't rain at all. But supposing they actually get a forecast right, either tarp it well, or remove the headstock like suggested.
Yesterday we had 90% chance of rain here with 1-2" of rain. It didn't rain all day. Today and tonight it is 90% again and likely won't rain at all. Tuesday there was no chance of rain in our forecast, and we got 0.6" and about a half inch of hail.
So, unless your weather monkeys there are better than here, it likely won't rain if they predict rain.
Leave a headstock uncovered in an open trailer and the chance of rain jumps to 100%.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm a gampling man. Go For It. If it does rain and the headstock gets wet - don't run it for a day or two.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Mike
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Big trash bag or some visqueen + duct tape = been there done that
I may be old but I’m slow
https://www.schmuckatellico.com/
https://scshiftknob.com