SS Belt sander or Disk sander

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DZIN
Gold Member

SS Belt sander or Disk sander

Post by DZIN »

Any thoughts on using either sander for thicknessing flat stock?
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: SS Belt sander or Disk sander

Post by edma194 »

You can use the disk sander like a joiner or planer on a narrow edge by skewing your fence a couple of degrees. Using the conical disk sander you can do the same thing for a wider face, up to around 4" I think. A drum sander can thickness much wider stock, but it requires many passes to reduce by a substantial thickness. The conical sanding disk is your best bet to sand for thickness on the Shopsmith. You can do a lot with a handheld power planer also. I see the Makita 3-1/4" is still available under $200.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As Ed suggests you can do some thickness work on the Sanding Disk or Conical Sanding Disk, but it is limited by the width it can handle. The Conical Sanding Disk would be the better choice of the two. The Belt Sander has a 6" wide belt so it can sand wider surfaces than the Disks but may prove difficult to achieve an even thickness over the entire board. Even the handheld power planer has its size limitations. If you are going to do very much woodworking that requires getting boards to thickness, I would recommend looking for an actual Planer either new or used. I found my Shopsmith Pro Planer almost 8 years ago for a very good deal. With sharpened Knives, some clean up and touch paint it works like new and looks that good too.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

You could also look into making a drum sander for thicknessing.
Member Shipwright made one
Build blog https://www.lumberjocks.com/threads/qui ... st-2198047

Video
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,