New Shopsmith Owner

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Restore
Gold Member

Re: New Shopsmith Owner

Post by Restore »

Russ, thanks for the Belt length as I could not find it documented anywhere.

It just dawned on me when you wrote that your jointer drive pulley is 1 3/4 that the model 620 appears to uses the SPT drive and not a pulley, fortunately Skip is making me new pulleys with his optional SPT drive adapter, will that SPT adapter line up and work with the 620 mounted with my adapter kit or do I need to find a pulley for the 620 jointer?

I spoke with Skip yesterday checking on my order and he said that a new supplier for his SPT adapter mount might be working out but got the impression it would not be anytime soon, correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't Skip's SPT mount and drive pulley adapter allow me to add most any SS model jointer and bandsaw option to my machine.
Attachments
MKC SPT drive pulley.png
MKC SPT drive pulley.png (213.94 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
SPT Adapter.png
SPT Adapter.png (91.59 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Below is a picture of my Model 4E Jointer mounted on my Model 10ER. As you can see the Jointer's shaft does not align to the Headstock's Drive Sleeve. All Magna/Shopsmith Jointers from the Model 4E through the current model have the shaft from the Cutter Head in the same position and can be driven either by a pulley or the Hub and Power Coupler from a Headstock or Power Station. Having the Jointer mounted on the Jointer Mounting Kit you have to use the special Motor Pulleys and a Pulley on the Jointer. Incidentally the picture is showing a larger than 1-3/4" pulley on the Jointer as I hadn't found the correct one when it was taken several years ago when the Jointer was restored.

_
10ER R64000 with Jointer.jpg
10ER R64000 with Jointer.jpg (77.37 KiB) Viewed 2940 times
Using Skip's SPT Mount and his special Drive Sleeve Pulley you should be able to use any SPT except the Mark Mount Planer on a Model 10. Do understand it may require different length Mounting Posts than the tool originally came with to achieve the correct alignment from the Headstock Drive Sleeve to the shaft of the SPT. Since Skip only has the one SPT Mount similar to the "A" Adapter you will have to adjust Mounting Posts for that. I cannot confirm if all the SPT's can work on this single Adapter. Skip would know.

The 2nd Power Mount Adapter Kit (see attachment PDF instructions below) came out as more Add-A-Tools (SPT's) were introduced and included an "A" and "B" Mount, the Special Headstock Pulley with Integral Hub and a pair of longer Mounting Posts for the Jointer. At the time all SPT's had straight Mounting Posts. Some with snap rings like the Jig Saw while others had stop collars like the Bandsaw. The stop collars allow more adjustment for use on the Power Mounts. Eccentric Mounting Posts could offer additional challenges.

_
Power-Mount Adapter Kit 11-920 02-56.pdf
(327.47 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
The original (1st) Power Mount Adapter Kit only had the "A" Adapter and was for use with the Jig Saw and Magna Sprayer. It was attached to the Base/Arm end of the Model 10 instead of the Headrest end and the original style coupler (no Hubs) was attached between the Quill's Spindle and the drive shaft of the Jig Saw or Sprayer. Due to their design and that of the Belt Sander they can be run from either side of the Headstock. The Jointer was to use the Jointer Mounting Kit and the 1st Power Mount Adapter Kit was designed for the Jig Saw and Sprayer. It was the addition of the Belt Sander and Bandsaw which prompted the 2nd Power Mount Adapter Kit and the Jointer Mounting Kit to be discontinued.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Russ,
That's a LOT of good info to remember, maybe I should just print it as that would be a much safer spot than in my head.

There is a 4E jointer on Ebay that he will take $65 for it but $117 shipping, it has the drive pulley on it but is missing the guard, interesting thing is it has the rare unbroken mounting plate attached to it, he said what's in the pictures is all he has so no other mounting kit hardware....there is a jointer guard on Ebay for $20 but it's for a later model.

Question: should I consider this 4E jointer or wait for a better one to come along and how often do you see a 4E come up on Ebay or Craigslist?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166287171172?_ ... p_homepage

Restoration is almost complete as I finished refurbishing the jigsaw yesterday, just need a few parts from Skip to call it done! Thanks for the pics of highly detailed restoration on this board as I don't feel toooo obsessive after seeing some them.
Attachments
PXL_20231017_222352730.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20231017_222352730.PORTRAIT.jpg (167.6 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It's hard to say if you should go for the eBay Jointer or wait.

My first Model 4E Jointer came with a Model 10ER I purchased in 2014 for $250. Both were fairly complete although I did have to replace the Jointer Fence Tilt Quadrant. The second Model 4E Jointer I recently purchased again with a Model 10ER for $150. It also came with a Jig Saw P/N 11 100 and mounted on Wood Bench with Shopsmith Bench Ends and Retractable Casters. This one has the broken Mounting Plate, but I already have a complete spare Jointer Mounting Kit I had purchased. It is also missing the spring parts in the Cutter Guard.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hndymn
Bronze Member

Post by Hndymn »

Hello. Where did you find the Tilt Quadrant assembly for the 4E? Mine has finally trashed and I need to replace it. Thanks.
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Hndymn,
I had read on this board how hard they were to find so when a complete setup came up on eBay I bought it immediately for a premium $$ but have not seen one since, others on this board have talked about having it repaired and I have seen pics of some patched back together.

I think a better option would be to purchase one of the SPC adapters from Skip, he is currently out of stock and is waiting for a new supplier to make more of his design, I do pester him occasionally to follow through as I would like one.

If I can get one of Skip’s adapters, then I will not need the SS adapter and will be looking to trade or sell the one I have.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hndymn,

You asked,
Where did you find the Tilt Quadrant assembly for the 4E? Mine has finally trashed and I need to replace it.
Mine was damaged with stripped threads on my 1st Model 4E. I replaced it with the current Jointer Quadrant Assembly (P/N 502651) that can be found here on the Shopsmith website under PARTS then Jointer. That assembly which includes the stop and roll pin is the same as the original one from the Model 4E.

So here is the good news about your Model 4E Jointer from 1953. Many of the parts for the current Shopsmith Jointer are the same or will fit the original Magne Model 4E Jointer. Some parts can individually replace the old ones while some have to be replaced as assemblies. Even the upgrades like the Feather Cutter Guard can be added to the Model 4E with the exception of the Dust Chute.
Russ

Mark V 520
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Hndymn
Oops I misread your post and thought you were asking about the 4E adapter I purchased, good luck with the repair.
I am still looking for an original 4E jointer, so if anyone has a lead on one I would greatly appreciate it.
Real1shepperd
Gold Member

Post by Real1shepperd »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:12 pm I have had all ages buy my restorations. The Model 10E I sold last weekend is going to the 75-year-old father-in-law of the buyer. Coincidently that Model 10E is also 75 years old.

As for SS Anonymous I am not sure I need them yet. My wife helps keep me from going to crazy as to the number Shopsmith Tools I keep and even the number I have on hand to restore and resell. :D

I don't know of anyone who restores Shopsmith's for customers like Skip has done in the past. I buy Shopsmith's in need of work to restore as a hobby and then resell them. Since I can't keep all of them reselling them helps to recover some of the costs in restoring them to keep my hobby going.

Now having said that, I do have a large collection of Magna/Shopsmith tools I have kept and the list below does not include everything I have. For example I have more than one of some SPT's. The picture below shows three of the four Bandsaws I have. Shown is a Greenie, a Goldie and an upgraded 1998 plus I have a 2006 not shown.

_
Accessory Stand - Bandsaws.jpg
Maybe I need to rethink SS Anonymous. :rolleyes:
I'm glad you can talk to Skip. He will not return any of my phone messages and many emails. I've not gone sideways with anyone on the forum, nor have ever communicated with Skip, although I bought from his site once. I just don't get it, retired or not. I'm gonna try again this weekend off & on. :(

Kevin
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Keven,

When you said
I'm glad you can talk to Skip.
If you are referring to me talking to Skip, I am sorry if I have misled you since it has been many years since I have talked to him which was before he retired.
Russ

Mark V 520