New Shopsmith Owner

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Restore
Gold Member

Re: New Shopsmith Owner

Post by Restore »

Russ, THANK YOU for that info as now my search is much broader and hopefully more/better options are out there.

Any pointers on what I should be looking for like missing or damaged parts that I could maybe see on Ebay ad pictures? would like to make sure of getting one worth my effort to restore not a POS.

Found this 620 for $60.00, label says 620 not 620C so assume this is the correct one....the price is right, what do you think or should I keep looking for a better one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256109703871?h ... R768kYHkYg
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Interesting mix of various vintage parts. At $60 it is likely a reasonable purchase. Extra holes in fence???? Tilt likely repairable - tapped hole???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Oh thanks for pointing out the striped out threads, I could repair that with a Helicoil insert if it is worth the effort, Thinking I need to be patient and follow the suggestions here of waiting for a 10ER to become available that has the planer option unless something comes up on Ebay that really says buy me, shipping cost is the big deterint with these heavy parts.

Thanks to the great post & pics here as I can reference while assembling so that it is going together right the first time, BIG help!

I managed to rewire a new switch & power cable today, was hit with 30K volts as a kid soooo not crazy about wiering for some reason but when I flipped the switch no breakers tripped and the motor spins so calling that a win!

Followed one of the post here and added the ground to a motor mount bolt same as per the pics on the post but since it is not directly contacting bare metal how will that work?
Attachments
PXL_20231012_022853568.jpg
PXL_20231012_022853568.jpg (221.53 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
PXL_20231011_170732621.jpg
PXL_20231011_170732621.jpg (229.12 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Scrape the paint off where the bolt attaches.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Sounds like the right solution but gonna be hard scratching up my new paint job

Looking for a Jointer today and I came across this 10 with 4E jointer, Speed Changer & tons of goodies for $75 :eek: reached out but it's sold.
Back to scouring the net, adding Freecycle.org to my search, maybe I get lucky
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/tls/d/ ... 24517.html
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

When I do my restorations, I replace the power cords and add the ground. As John said remove any paint in the contact area the ground wire is attached to.

Magna Model 620 4" Jointer Serial Number 23335 was made in November 1954. If you are close enough to pick it up, you could go for the Jointer you found. It doesn't show a shipping option. Do check if it has all the parts. This has the early Cutter Head so check that all the wedges and screws are there. The Knives are the same as current ones so if they are damaged replacements are easily found. The Jointer Fence has a simi circular part riveted to it that matches the groove in the Quadrant that if missing cannot be ordered separately from the Fence from Shopsmith. I don't see in the pictures the Adjusting Knob for the cut height. That would be the knob you see on the underside of the Jointer next to the arrow in the picture below.

_
Model 620 underside arrow.jpg
Model 620 underside arrow.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
I would, and actually have, replaced the Jointer Fence Tilt Quadrant as opposed to trying to "fix" it. My Model 4E Jointer I restored had a stripped Quadrant just like the one you found. The current Jointer Fence Tilt Quadrant part number 502651 which sells for $44.07 is the same as the ones in the original Jointers. The Jointer you found has a couple safety upgrades with the back of the fence Cutter Guard and the Drive Shaft Guard.
Russ
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Chapmanruss,
Thanks for the detailed info for this jointer much appreciated and should help with understanding what to look for, unfortunately I didn't notice that 620 was pickup only as it is outside of an acceptable driving distance, were between DC & Baltimore.....Could you please verify that you said a model 620 will mount to the adapter I just bought in case I run across a good deal on a 620.

Okay I' am gonna sand off some of my shiny new paint to get a good ground but that spot is getting some dielectric grease cause rust has insomnia and never sleeps.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Use an external tooth lock washer between the lug and the frame.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Mounting Holes on the Model 620 Magna 4" Jointer are in the same place as the Model 4E Magna 4" Jointer as indicated by the arrows in the picture below.

_
620 extra mounting holes - arrows.jpg
620 extra mounting holes - arrows.jpg (121.88 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
I wish I had kept the Jointer in the picture above. It is serial number 11458 and the lowest Model 620 Jointer serial number I have seen. It was probably made in January 1954 which is before the introduction of the Mark 5 in March. It had been painted gray before I got it and likely to match being on a Model 10.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Restore
Gold Member

Post by Restore »

Russ, Thank you once again.

What do you think about if I come across a good 620C and the only difference between a model 620 & 620C are those holes, I could add the holes myself if someone could give me measurements off a 620 they had? that would broaden my search even further, was thinking that the measurements would need to come off the reference machined surfaces not the rough casting surfaces to make them reasonably accurate….The full jointer adapter kit came in today and it looks in pretty good shape although it seems kinda expensive now after finding that complete machine with a jointer for $75.

JPG, I like the external tooth lock washer idea but gonna add the dielectric grease anyway because I have a new tube that will most likely outlast me.

Just for fun, pic I called Shopsmith laundry day ;)
Attachments
PXL_20230916_223435570.jpg
PXL_20230916_223435570.jpg (270.81 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
Last edited by Restore on Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.