Have you seen a black speed control?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Wrangler
Bronze Member

Have you seen a black speed control?

Post by Wrangler »

I've just retrieved my Dad's Shopsmith from his old workshop. It has been sitting for a LONG time. I'm in the process of learning as much as I can about it before I touch it. I'd like to restore it and don't want to accidentally make anything worse before I even get started.

I've already learned a LOT and still figuring out more. Based on the serial number it seems to have been built in 1956. I've been looking at a lot of pics of the Greenies. So far everything I've seen has a red background on the speed control. Mine has a black background. I haven't seen any other black backgrounds so I was wondering if this indicates anything. Anyone have any idea or seen anything like it? The medallion covering the access hole on the back is the normal red.
Black speed control
Black speed control
20230515_135437.jpg (270.15 KiB) Viewed 288 times
Mark V Model 500
1956 (s/n: 330848) Greenie
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Have you seen a black speed control?

Post by JPG »

No, but other than the color it appears 'normal'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Have you seen a black speed control?

Post by chapmanruss »

My guess is somebody painted it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.