Why Didn't I Do This Before?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Why Didn't I Do This Before?

Post by john »

Got a little bored the other day and reached for the book on working with powertools that ShopSmith supplied with my 510.

In spite of the fact that I have been using my equipment for several years, I found several good tips and interesting applications that I hadn't even considered. One of the most interesting to me was using the lathe set-up and 2 1/2" dowel to make a wide flat sander. (Has anyone tried this?)

If any of you are like me and put the book on the shelf to forever "rest in peace", I would suggest getting it out and looking through it over a cup of coffee every once in a while. It sure is a comprehensive manual that I didn't fully appreciate.

John
curly57
Gold Member

Sounds interesting!!

Post by curly57 »

Hi John!! that book sounds interesting, I bought my MKV used so I didn't get the book, I wonder if it's still available.

Happy Woodworking and God Bless!!
Curly....:D
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Curly:

I just checked the ShopSmith site and found it in their accessories catalogue under "Education". It is selling for $37+. Product #555069.

John
scrossm1
Bronze Member

Post by scrossm1 »

I have done this several times. It works well if you have the V slot cut right and the sand paper is very tight. I have even made a concave version that allows me to round over flat stock. Set up a guide to slide your stock through making sure that its in the center.
curly57
Gold Member

Post by curly57 »

Thanks John, I'll have to add it to my wish list.

Curly
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It is a fun project but it works a lot different then the ones you buy. I think the problem was trying to use regular sheet sandpaper... you need some with a better backing???

Shopsmith also sells a 6" tall drum sander (555948) that is made much like the standard one that comes with the machine except, well, it is longer. I have one of these, but I also have on my wish list the inflatable sander (754200) which is 2-1/4 X 8" and used in a lathe like mode.

Both of these use sleeves for the sandpaper which are reasonably long lasting at least on the 3" and 6" ones I own. (I have 3 of the 3" ones each with a different grit, makes change overs very fast.)

If you do made one I would like to here back on how you like it and how well it works for you...

And if you have one that is working what paper are you using on it??? I think mine might be in some box or drawer out in the shop... or not... anyway sometimes I like to revisit old tools with a "todays" look at them again.

Ed
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ed:

When I saw the set-up, I was actually wondering if it could be altered to take bands of sticky sandpaper twisted around the cylinder and secured at both ends.

I might try it someday but right now I'm working on a couple of projects and then I need to take some downtime for long overdue maintenance of both the equipment and the shop!

Have fun

John
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

I made the sanding drum set up as described in PTWFE once upon a time. It has to be nearly 20 years ago, I guess. I used it to sand some thin stock, and it worked fine. Haven't taken it off its shelf in recent years, but what I remember about it is that A) it doesn't do the job of a thickness sander, but it works ok for light finishing sanding and B) it generates a really thick cloud of sanding dust in no time at all!

Ed
Idaho Panhandle
MkV 500
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

ShopNotes had an article a few months ago about making a drum sander from a table saw. I did some research about modifying if for the Shopsmith but gave up when it turned out too hard to get all the parts. The way they made the drum also was not nearly as nice as ProMax and more expensive. This is an accessory that would be could be cost more effective from Shopsmith especially if they started with a ProMax drum. I may still build one starting with a "spare" drum purchased from ProMax but first I need to finish some turning projects.

So much wood so little time:)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I made one of these to SS specs several years ago. My experiance with it is about the same as edflorence. Doesn't work for dimensioning at all, but will work for lite sanding. I used it every once an a while, but now use the thickness planer instead. The biggest problem I had was getting the table set at the correct height. An adjustable stop collor (part No 555937) is just about a must for this sanding drum.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA