Why Didn't I Do This Before?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Yes, The stop collar works wonderfully well on the table support tube on the back side of the carrage for vertical "drill press" applications. You can micro adjust routing and shaping as well as drilling from that position.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Hi Guys;

I am feeling sheepish that I have to admit I never thought about using the stop collar in the drill press mode. My habit has always been to set the fence "close" and then sneak up on the precise setting by moving the table in or out with the table lever. I really like the idea of using the stop collar. That would have been just the ticket for sanding the slats I mentioned.

Ed asked:
"Do you have one of the old incra jig shopsmith once carried... gray plastic thing? If so me too. They must date back to the late 80's or early 90's, I had mine out last summer and was using it, it still works fine!!."

Yep, that's the critter exactly. I even still have it in its original box. I use it primarily for setting the height of the table saw blade and the offset of the rip fence. Somewhere along the way Shopsmith sent me a set of instructions by an outfit called Edgewood . I think it came as part of the paperwork for the Cross Cut Sliding Table. This Edgewood paphlet (4 pages) details a few common table saw jigs and then ends with an illustration of what they call the "Incra Jig Jig." The Incra Gauge is mounted with its long dimension at right angles to the saw blade on a rectangle of plywood which is fitted with a miter slot runner. To the front of the Incra Gauge is attached a wooden fence parallel to the saw. This set up would allow very fine adjustments of the saw fence. I think its a pretty cool idea, but I don't know that I would ever really use this on the table saw though; the quill feed along with the incra gauge have always done a great job of fine tuning the fence distance, but I have thought this would be a neat thing to rig up for the drill press. Now I see that the stop collar would be the easier way to go.

I do like that old plastic Incra Gauge...Even after all these years the teeth on the rack are still nice and crisp. Good tool!

Ed
Idaho Panhandle
MkV 500