New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by edma194 »

Couple of other notes from the website:
Low Variable Speed Capability - 250 RPMs drill speed keeps even the biggest bigs from burning up.
I'm not sure how big the biggest bigs get. Good to know they won't burn up whatever they are.
Intelligent, Adaptive Power Delivery - Draws only the power needed to maintain a selected speed under load, using up to 80% electricity.
Ok, where does the rest of the power come from if it's not electricity? And 80% is the maximum usage of electricity, we have no idea what the minimum is or what the maximum for the other mystery power source will be.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Does anyone proofread this stuff before distributing???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Apparently not. At least not someone who understands what is being conveyed.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What is accomplished by having the village idiot do the proof reading?

Maybe the village idiot is creating them? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Maybe they do understand but rely on the spell checker to catch mistakes . Obviously spell checkers do not know what you intend to say or words left out and in this case no words were misspelled.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So "maybe" proof reading is a lost art?(and considered redundant).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:57 pm US domestic electric power is single phase. 230v connections are single phase with opposite polarity referenced to neutral. Ya being picky!
JPG,

Thanks. Yeah, you are absolutely right and that comes from my long history of helping my Dad as an Electrician's Helper where we often referred to the service panel having 2 phases. The EE in me knows you are right and that I mispoke here. Good catch. My point was only that a 240VAC connection should have 2 fuses and not just one, i.e. both hots should be protected. Also, why do you guys keep referring to 230V in the US when it went to 240V a long time ago??? My understanding is it is fairly commonly available 240VAC all over the US now and this provides 120V, one side, to every receptacle in your home. This is what I get here and every Electrician reference I see today says it is 240V now. Since you guys are using 70 year old Shopsmith equipment do you have special transformer connections at the pole to give a lower voltage for them??? :D
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:11 pm What does the "overload" device sense? Internal headstock temperature? Someplace on the motor temperature?

YA, Electrical "surges" means ????
Yeah, I kind of thought it looked like a thermal overload protector, but have only seen these on a few products. It looks resettable, but I was wondering how it worked, i.e. how can it be close enough to sense thermal temp of motor, but maybe the point is ambient rise inside the housing will set it off of the Gen 2 overheats? Referring to that device to the right of the fuse socket on the back of the headstock in the pic from Jack.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My electrical service has been 117V since WW2. :rolleyes:

Yes I resonate re two phase descriptions of US domestic power(I know nothing re elsewhere). I make a small effort to correct that misconception when I see it.

In your case I truly believe you understand(but old habits sneak out sometimes).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:11 pm What does the "overload" device sense? Internal headstock temperature? Someplace on the motor temperature?

YA, Electrical "surges" means ????
IMG_0761.jpeg
IMG_0761.jpeg (145.12 KiB) Viewed 13143 times
I think of it as a limit switch for internal headstock temperature in the area right where it’s mounted (see Jack’s pics). Wonder what the trip temperature is? I see it as being mounted between the power supply and the quill but I haven’t looked inside my headstock lately. I don’t have any guesses on “surges” but since it is a computer maybe I should use a power strip/surge protector. I currently use a 5way adapter from Ace Hdw.
IMG_0762.jpeg
IMG_0762.jpeg (174.26 KiB) Viewed 13143 times
It has a 15 amp circuit breaker.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?