New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Re: New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by larryhrockisland »

Boy, the headstock casting looks rough, almost pitted, or somebody threw a handful of sand into the paint mix. I’m interested in what the current software version too. Mine is v9.02xa05 2010. Wonder if we could get or modify a screen protector for it? I think a Bluetooth remote hooked to the USB would be a good option.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

larryhrockisland wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:18 pm Boy, the headstock casting looks rough, almost pitted, or somebody threw a handful of sand into the paint mix.
It does look bad. It's probably a perfectly good casting, but I wonder if that one was taken out of the reject pile. It looks like it has the traditional motor mounting screws also. We saw what looked like a change to the motor mounting blocks in some headstock pictures earlier in the year. Doesn't look like they updated the services parts diagram or price list for different mounting blocks or the Gen 2 changes.

My big questions are about changes to software and that port. The new display is nice but it's a superficial change, not functional.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:07 pm The new display is nice but it's a superficial change, not functional.
Not superficial to some of us. Honestly if the original PowerPro had had this, I probably would have owned one already. Those membrane switches, small 2 line LCD display and the dreaded "confirm" extra steps of Gen 1 are a non-starter to some of us. Those are all poor functionality to some.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:25 pm
edma194 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:07 pm The new display is nice but it's a superficial change, not functional.
Not superficial to some of us. Honestly if the original PowerPro had had this, I probably would have owned one already. Those membrane switches, small 2 line LCD display and the dreaded "confirm" extra steps of Gen 1 are a non-starter to some of us. Those are all poor functionality to some.
I can't argue that better buttons would be a functional change. If they are actually better then I'd appreciate that change. I haven't yet heard anything about the new button functionality though, there may not be much functional improvement. And I should say my major concerns about 2 PowerPros are the chance of a $600 part and a $800 part going bad at any time with too high a possibility that the problem parts can't be repaired or even properly diagnosed.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

claimdude wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:44 am Pics of my new PowerPro Gen 2. Runs well. I have to change the plug over to 220. Should get that done tonight.
Since the ads indicate the addition of a fuse...Note that they might have a different fuse recommendation for 230 Volt operation. A lot of equipment I've worked on does this, a lower amp rating for 230 VAC operation. This ought to be in the manual... I'm a little surprised they appear to have added an external fuse without a label for fuse ratings.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:17 pm Since the ads indicate the addition of a fuse...Note that they might have a different fuse recommendation for 230 Volt operation. A lot of equipment I've worked on does this, a lower amp rating for 230 VAC operation. This ought to be in the manual... I'm a little surprised they appear to have added an external fuse without a label for fuse ratings.

- David
David,

From the pics that Jack posted of the Gen 2, it looks like there is the removable fuse on the back of the casting above the access port. Also to the right of it, I am intrigued. Looks like a resettable button circuit breaker perhaps. I may be reading too much into it though because hard to tell from the pic. Perhaps that one to the right is a plastic plug and this 2nd hole is intended for the 2nd fuse to add for 240VAC operation if one choose that for the Gen 2. 2 phase (240VAC) would require 2 fuses and not just one. Just a thought. IF I am right, then 240VAC operation would also require adding that 2nd fuse IMHO and there should be documentation on this from Shopsmith for the Gen 2.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:35 am
DLB wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:17 pm Since the ads indicate the addition of a fuse...Note that they might have a different fuse recommendation for 230 Volt operation. A lot of equipment I've worked on does this, a lower amp rating for 230 VAC operation. This ought to be in the manual... I'm a little surprised they appear to have added an external fuse without a label for fuse ratings.

- David
David,

From the pics that Jack posted of the Gen 2, it looks like there is the removable fuse on the back of the casting above the access port. Also to the right of it, I am intrigued. Looks like a resettable button circuit breaker perhaps. I may be reading too much into it though because hard to tell from the pic. Perhaps that one to the right is a plastic plug and this 2nd hole is intended for the 2nd fuse to add for 240VAC operation if one choose that for the Gen 2. 2 phase (240VAC) would require 2 fuses and not just one. Just a thought. IF I am right, then 240VAC operation would also require adding that 2nd fuse IMHO and there should be documentation on this from Shopsmith for the Gen 2.
US domestic electric power is single phase. 230v connections are single phase with opposite polarity referenced to neutral. Ya being picky!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The marketing blurb mentions fuse and overload protection.

I wonder what the overload protection is(That would explain the 'resetable button" adjacent to the fuse holder).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

From the website:
Fuse and Overload Protection - The Thermal Overload Protector prevents damage from electrical surges motor overheating. Easy push-button reset after Motor cools.

I am guessing something that heats up the headstock, whether from extended high speed use or belts that are out of adjustment or something similar. I think a comma between “electrical surges” and “motor overheating” would be helpful but my English grades would not support view that necessarily :rolleyes:
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What does the "overload" device sense? Internal headstock temperature? Someplace on the motor temperature?

YA, Electrical "surges" means ????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝